Why are Death Adders so dangerously cheap?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
adders rock, and there is experience needed to be able to assist feed young
and other issues that some will have ie shedding etc, you do get complacent with them
at times. There is protocols i have and follow it is the only elapid i keep and in numbers.
They only teach you how to head an animal correctly and nothing much more. But i enjoy
looking after them and that is what i like, To have a permit to keep them and all elapids
is not a right, it is a privilege, some people like pythons but to me i like every type of snakes
just hard when iam ocd and end up with 50 of each species so that is why i only keep adders...
and pythons

Can't see why you are worried about a adder when we have alot bigger and faster elapids available , adder venom does some tissue damage but very rare that it will kill a person?

Can't see why you are worried about a adder when we have alot bigger and faster elapids available , adder venom does some tissue damage but very rare that it will kill a person?

Before antivenom death adder had the highest rate of human fatalities through its neurotoxic effects.

Umm adder venom is pretty potent. Don't want to receive a tag... Adders, although not the fastest at moving can strike with extreme speed. Fast enough that if it does and you are in distance it'll get you before you get away. While not the most dangerous ven, all vens should be taken seriously. Whether lethal or not. (most are)

Hi,

Acanthophis venom is highly neurotoxic, but also has a multitude of other toxins. Pre antivenom death adder bites had an approximate 50% mortality rate. Taipans were significantly higher with almost a 100% mortality rate from confirmed envenomations.

Maybe should have a name change to "rarely a death adder"

Put a vice on your bitten appendage and squeeze until your hear the bones cracking....then squeeze some more! (or so I've heard).

They're so cheap because you have to jump thru so many damn hoops and licenses to get them! In NSW atleast anyway. I've wanted a death adder since I knew what a death adder was :(

They're also cheap because many buyers are not prepared to pay shipping costs from "remote" breeders.

One person in particular who has a ton of experience and breeds some really speccie, good doers can't give them away (some may know who I'm talking about). It's a real shame IMO.

Well, in Tasmania you can just sign a bit of paper and send it away, no cost or training needed then you can go out in the wild and catch yourself some tigersnakes copperheads and whitelips, im 15 and I can do this legaly...

I live in the United States in Pennsylvania, and was told by a dealer at a reptile show that non-native venomous snakes were completely unregulated here. He had cobras, rattlesnakes, gaboon vipers and more for sale. All in plastic containers with price tags on them. I was rather shocked at how readily available they were! I'm new to the hobby though (this is the first thread I've responded to!).

Serious Question.

I always see Death Adders for sale for around $150. This A.) confuses me. and B.)Scares me.

It's quite a challenge not too buy one of those cute little snugglesticks.

And yet not many people have them or undertake them with reckless abandon... glimmer of hope at the level of some sense of "responsibility" amongst reptile hobbyist. This would mean that they are not "dangerously cheap" as the price has nothing to do with it in regards to the danger they pose. The danger comes from inadequate keeper knowledge/ability and complacency, regardless of the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back