Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My gecko room has air con, so it never got over 26C.
My water dragon dug deep into the dirt to hide from the heat.
I did have to bring the woodies in from the garage, house is a bit whiffy now.

Damn it, my reptile room/house does not have air con. If it did I would have spent the whole day with my animals:D:D:D:D:D, would have been awesome. P.S my room was a bit whiffy because reptile droppings tend to smell a lot worse when it's hot.

Last edited:
This is how Sid managed her first day of heat wave...still in the bath at 20:30hours. She did spend time stalking the house earlier.

How did your favourite beasties cope today?

How hot did it actually get in Armidale? Inverell only got to about 34* and my Maculosa enjoyed her 28* tank with the basking light still coming on every couple of hours. Luckily for us we haven't had the sort of stinking weather of further south and the insulation of the house seems to keep my enclosure temps fairly constant even if it feels hot to us humans who have to share the house with Skittles. 8)

- - - Updated - - -

P.S my room was a bit whiffy because reptile droppings tend to smell a lot worse when it's hot.

Good excuse to do a good clean then isn't it?

How hot did it actually get in Armidale? Inverell only got to about 34* and my Maculosa enjoyed her 28* tank with the basking light still coming on every couple of hours.

Yet to change my "location" Gruni...We're now in the Adelaide Hills:).

My enclosures have reached 45 shanti has taken to the floor.
Even with frozen water bottles fan and misting heaps so I have air con on now tanks are coming down slowly and shanti is back on her perch.

Just wanted to run a few things by you all. In Wagga yesterday I lost an adult pair of shinglebacks that I house outside in a pit, I am guessing due to the heat. It was 43 degrees here yesterday and again today. They had access to water and shade - I thought they would have been fine. My Bluies are also out there now - should I move them inside? Also have Ackies in the shed which on the cold side was surface temp of 45 degrees yesterday. Should I turn the ackies heat lights off during the 40+ degree days or will they tolerate the high temps?

I would bring the blueys in. A 2nd day of 40+ could be too taxing on them. Sorry to hear about the Shingles.
Just checked the forecast in your area and you are certainly in for a hot week.

I would turn off all artificial heating even lights as you know our heat is hot and dry no humidity I would bring in your blues just to be safe this heat is nasty where is the rain!

Best turn the ackies heat light off. They're more likely to survive a few days of slightly cooler weather than really hot weather. They won't be so active if it's cooler but they'll be able to escape the heat a bit more.
All the best with the rest of them and sorry to hear bout the stumpies. :cry:

Just wanted to run a few things by you all. In Wagga yesterday I lost an adult pair of shinglebacks that I house outside in a pit, I am guessing due to the heat. It was 43 degrees here yesterday and again today. They had access to water and shade - I thought they would have been fine. My Bluies are also out there now - should I move them inside? Also have Ackies in the shed which on the cold side was surface temp of 45 degrees yesterday. Should I turn the ackies heat lights off during the 40+ degree days or will they tolerate the high temps?

Sorry to hear about the Stumpy. I once lost a beautiful Blotched Bluie when I left it in an old glass tank for 20 minutes outside on a sunny day in Canberra...horrible way to go:(. Reptiles will die very rapidly in inescapable heat but can survive a long time in colder conditions, so best to turn off all fixtures and remove to a cool area of the house, even provide cold packs around enclosures if necessary as others have mentioned. You also run the risk of permanent nero problems in herps that are subjected to high temps for lenghty periods (it's a rough call being a herp sometimes).

Thanks for all the advise. Bluies now inside. Ackies heat light off. Beardies outside are fine as they are in a bird aviary with heaps of shade. But maintaining a close watch on them. Yes spewing about the shingleback pair as they were a bonded pair I recently acquired :( Sad way to die for them the poor things.

For any reps kept outside make the hides as thick as possible
Thickness of the hides will provide some insulation on both hot and cold days nights

I house my snakes in individual outdoors enclosures during summer but have indoors housing thru winter as it gets cold here, so for extreme events like this i bring them indoors under the aircon.

The new year eve and day when it was very very hot. My large 18month old male died, :-( I think it was from the heat. I wasn't very happy, yesterday I brought all my other ones inside in tubs, don't want another one dying on me.

I'm so sorry to hear gando :( That's terrible :'(

sorry to hear mate!
I would turn the heat off if the pits have any heated areas.
I turned the basking lights and uvb lights off for my dragons and I turned the thermostat down a few degrees down on my reptile racks. I also put some ice cubes in the water bowls.
I noticed that my fish tank water was quite warm so I cooled it down very slowly over the course of a hour.
The heat is horrible!

I thought I had every thing under control but I didn't, I lost my most favourite gecko my Amyea I believe to the heat the only thing different was that she lived in a glass tank enclosure and the others live in a rack system I misted 3 to 4 times daliy plenty of water she was quite chubby. She will be sadly missed by us, she would wag her tail when it was feed time without fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back