My stupidity has just dawned on me

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt196

Not so new Member
Reaction score
And so I figured I would ask..

I got my first snake a little over 2 months ago.. Holly the Jungle carpet..

And when I take her out out of her enclosure I generally 9 times out of 10 put her up over my the back of my neck/shoulders and let her wrap around my neck etc.. I mean she doesn't squeeze or anything like that.. but I was wondering if this is a bad practice? or will she get use to it?

Probably a stupid question so I'm sorry for that!

Cheers.

I would also love to know, I do the exact same with my coastal and he's about 3ft now and it just occured to me that maybe I should stop...

i used to do this with my diamond, for 4 years she was a puppy dog then she became snappy so 1/5 times i handle her she will either constrict me until my arm is blue bite me or do both, so i dont put her around my neck anymore.

Yeah I do it all the time, once they're huge it's the easiest way to hold them anyway. I've never been bitten on the face, my fingers and hands seem more bite sized.

I didn't think about it until now haha.. But yeah, Thanks for the info guys :) Appreciate it as she's around my neck as I type this haha

Last edited:
Like NTTed, I put my bigger (6 ft +) pythons over my shoulders regularly. have had a couple of squeezes around the neck - you sure do appreciate their power. I'm wary because of that, but enjoy the odd cuddle :)

That being said, a Jungle won't get big enough to do you any damage...from a squeezing perpecitive at least!

Good to know :) I was only concerned with when she got bigger haha.. Right now she is very manageable even though I let her do and go wherever she wants lol :)

I do it with my 7' diamond. Yes there is certainly a risk, on one occasion she started squeezing but i pulled her off quickly. I think as long as you dont get complacent and pay attention to what your snake is doing, incase they do decide to start squeezing, then it is a safe. Just keep in mind that they are strong animals and a large snake could certainly cause problems.

I drape my 7' Bredli around my neck..... but he's a pussycat most of the time.

As long as you don't become complacent and keep good control of her head (not grabbing, but guiding), it shouldn't be a problem. It's pretty much the only way I can handle my husband's adult BHPs :p When you're a 5 foot 2 inch hobbit the only real options for large snakes is ground, shoulders, or awkward arm-cradling...

I don't do it... i figured just in case they do tighten, they probably won't understand me tapping as they choke me out. Not keen on breaking several of their vertebraes either in a desperate move to get them off....

5' 2" is more Dwarves than Hobbits... :lol:

Last edited:
Yes and??? Have you never read Tolkein? That is how it's spelt, I just missed the 's'. 8)

Or should that be 'I missed the 'n'?

"5' 2" is more Dwarven than Hobbit."

I occasionally do it, it does make it easier to hold a 7' plus animal. Just bear in mind an animal that size could potentially put you in a sleeper hold. Also remember that a sleeper hold ceases to be a sleeper hold if you aren't released as soon as you black out. After that it becomes much more serious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back