Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchyboy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Looking for a first time pet snake, just basically want to know idea on which snake to get? and where breeders are

Pick the size breed and colours you want. Not what someone else likes. Ultimately it will be you looking after it. Lots will say children's spotteds jungles but I have coastal so make sure it's the snake you want...

i just want something that is more tame of a species, a smaller species, :) nothing over 2 metres preferably?

breeders around melbourne, or should i buy from a pet shop?

I would say Stimmy, Spotted or Childrens, they are all pretty great snakes, if you are looking for a great looking snake with a great temperament, I would go a Stimmy (Stimson's) as they are great little snakes. I have a Spotted and she is also a great little snake, not much to look at but a real sweety :)
Children's are pretty bland but have a great temperament.

As for looking at breeders or pet shops, I would go the breeder, they should have a feed/shed record which, if you want a hatchling is alot better IMO.

Anyway good luck and let us know how the search goes :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh sorry, breeders around Melbourne:
Amazing Amazon - Have some great snakes for sale :)

They are the only one I can think of currently but have a look in the For Sale section on here and there are lots of great snakes to look at in Victoria, most people on here you can trust too :)
There is also:
PetPages
HerpShop - HerpTrader
To look on, these sometimes have some great snakes/lizards etc :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say Scrub-Woma-BHP or the pair of jungles ive got,,you will either learn quickly or make sure you have alot of band-aids...Seriuosly any of the Anteresias would be suitable considering you only want a small snake..

breeders around melbourne, or should i buy from a pet shop?
Dont rush, In Feb there is a reptile expo at the Melb show grounds, There will be more snakes there than you can
poke a stick at.
Use the time inbetween to decide what you like and then bone up on the husbandry needs so you will then be prepared
to take delivery of a snake!

Good thinking, the VHS expo at the Showgrounds will be fantastic to look at the different species, you can buy there as well. Have you got your Wildlife licence yet? That can take 6 weeks!

VHS ? 2013 VHS Expo. The expo is in Feb

Get a Woma, They dont get very big, placid nature, great looks and even better personalities.

Woma.

Womas and BHPs are my two favorite species of snakes ever. Womas are medium sized as adults, and extremely sweet. My boy is the calmest, snake ever. He has quite the personality. He will beg to get out of his enclosure, and he likes hanging out in the living room with me. I am sure to lock the dogs/cats out but I give him free range time and he is big enough not to get lost. He is very active and likes exploring, but will also just hang out with me. If I am walking around he prefers my neck but if I am watching TV he will just lay on my lap. Womas do funny things too. Like he will sleep on his back, he will sleep on my lap. I want to say he is insanely lazy but then he gets a wild streak and goes zooming around for hours. They also have cool feeding manors. They will bob there head up and down when they are hungry or hunting and they will wag there tail when they get excited (know they are about to get fed). imo they have the most personality out of all my snakes, and they look amazing. I like the size and coloration of the BHP more but since you said smaller a BHP would not fit in the category. Also they are a little less beginner than Womas.

Womas are wicked looking and very hardy. Not picky eaters at all... they will eat anything. They only downside to them as a beginner snake is they have a crazy feeding response. When mine know they are going to get fed they will tag anything that moves... or dosent move. Mine often bite the sides of there enclosures if it's not there turn yet but they know another snake is being fed and they will try to bite you. Having that be there only down side.. isn't a bad thing though. If you can catch them off guard to throw in a rat/mouse you can usually do it before they wake up and you never see there crazy side.

Mate, I'd go for a diamond python, they sit comfortably around the 1.5m mark, aren't big on sinking teeth into you and are a beautiful looking snake too.... That was my first snake, I definitely enjoyed my time with my diamond....

Get a Woma, They dont get very big, placid nature, great looks and even better personalities.
I love Womas, but in New South I have to of held my licence for at least 2 years to get one. Are they really beginner snakes?

I wanted a Jungle Carpet for a first snake, but got a coastal instead that likes to chew humans. My advice would be to get whatever snake you want as a hatchie so that you can grow as a snake owner with it. Snake bites dont really physically hurt, but psychologically i am still not over the shock of a strike from a 6ft animal. Gets the old heart racing.
Im getting a Stimsons python in the next couple of weeks and Im going to ease myself into keeping snakes rather than jump straight in the deep end.

I love Womas, but in New South I have to of held my licence for at least 2 years to get one. Are they really beginner snakes?

I wanted a Jungle Carpet for a first snake, but got a coastal instead that likes to chew humans. My advice would be to get whatever snake you want as a hatchie so that you can grow as a snake owner with it. Snake bites dont really physically hurt, but psychologically i am still not over the shock of a strike from a 6ft animal. Gets the old heart racing.
Im getting a Stimsons python in the next couple of weeks and Im going to ease myself into keeping snakes rather than jump straight in the deep end.

you can keep womas on r1 license :) hence good beginner snake

heres the list of the species you can keep in nsw..
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/nature/CurrentSpeciesList.pdf

Last edited:
awkward...not sure where i got my information from...i have looked at that list before, but i swore i thought Womas were R2s! :/
probs confused them with GTPs for some reason...

maybe you looked at it a few years ago
or saw an old version? they used to be on r2 a few years back

- - - Updated - - -

lol i think its time to get a woma :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back