My stupidity has just dawned on me

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never thought it a wise move to allow pythons to hang around your neck or to be anywhere near your face for that matter.

I have never thought it a wise move to allow pythons to hang around your neck or to be anywhere near your face for that matter.
+1....i do sling my 7ft bredli over my shoulder to carry out to the lawn to do its biz but i think people r unaware of there strengths....im more carefull with me jungle ..tho doesnt bite i just dont like its flighty nature of swinging its head near mine....I WATCHED AN ANACONDA CONSTRICT A TURKEY WITH PRESSURE PADS ON (cant find the link)..but it held the same pressure for a full 20 mins...60 TONS PER SQUARE INCH...(or a mine dump truck sitting on 1 square in of you chest) YOUR CHOICE GUYS!!!!
whistling2.gif
whistling2.gif
whistling2.gif

>.> I'm so bad for this.. All of my snakes go around my neck.. they usually go around my hair, glasses, I get my childreni's head up my nose on occasions, my bredli stuck his head in my mouth when I yawned once lol. I had them at my local show and my bredli was content sleeping on my cap while I was playing with ferrets, ducklings, lambs ect

+1....i do sling my 7ft bredli over my shoulder to carry out to the lawn to do its biz but i think people r unaware of there strengths....im more carefull with me jungle ..tho doesnt bite i just dont like its flighty nature of swinging its head near mine....I WATCHED AN ANACONDA CONSTRICT A TURKEY WITH PRESSURE PADS ON (cant find the link)..but it held the same pressure for a full 20 mins...60 TONS PER SQUARE INCH...(or a mine dump truck sitting on 1 square in of you chest) YOUR CHOICE GUYS!!!!

You sure it was 60 tons?

You sure it was 60 tons?
Yup...when i get time over weekend ill try find it.....they basicly said that as it does its first squeeze (and humans dont really come in contact with then) that human ribs will just go POP POP POP...this is an example only ...not an Aussie carpet but ive known people with Olives to get in a bit of trouble so y risk it..JMO guys ...do as ya plz

- - - Updated - - -

.............Kms over here mate...
lol.gif
...U must have borowed that from Endeavour
whistling2.gif
whistling2.gif
whistling2.gif

It is not off track, it is important for safety reasons to establish whether one is dealing with Dwarves or Hobbits as a Dwarf is much more muscular and could probably deal with a cantankorous snake more efficiently than a Hobbit. Having said that those of Ol' Bullroarer's line are very stout indeed and are known for their hardy stamina, so a 7ft Darwin Pythons shouldn't be a huge issue when carried around their necks. ;)

Last edited:
Which is also why the question of complacency comes in. It stands to reason that any responsible keeper would take into account size, strength, body language, etc before handling a large python in any manner. There are certain snakes I don't handle alone, and the others I'm fine with on my own. I understand there are times when it is necessary, but having learned this lesson practically, rather than theoretically, with a rather large olive (thankfully my MIL was with me at the time, it was her girl), I would rather wait until I have a handling 'spotter' to pull out one of the BHPs just in case.
The thing is, that olive wasn't even being aggressive at the time, she was simply holding on and trying to get up to the light, but she still managed to squeeze my chest enough to see spots. Large pythons are dangerous to handle, in any way, even if they're just big puppies like my MIL's old olive. Cradling doesn't give me much control as it takes up most of my arms with snake body, and with my stubby arms I don't have room for error if a large snake decides to strike at my face - I can't afford to be complacent. Draping over the shoulders allows me to have control and guide the head and neck, while constantly keeping an eye on body-language and whether or not the python seems tense. If that's the case it's placed on the ground to be controlled if I can't put it back in it's enclosure yet (cleaning out, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back