Choosing a Hatchie From a Clutch

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nintendont

Reaction score
Just curious to know what strategy people use when trying to pick 1 snake from a clutch of 10+?
its probably personal preference for the most part, but surely there are some tips?
do you look for symmetrical patterns or irregular ones? Lighter coloured ones or darker coloured ones?
any pointers?

Good shaped head. No kinks in the body and tail.
If it's your first snake. Get one that is feeding well.

i dont really mean "health-wise" but more "looks-wise" if you know what i mean.
you know how some grow up to be beautiful, and others grow up to be a bit dull. how do you increase your chances at a hatchie that will grow up pretty? just roll the dice? or are there any tips?

EDIT: I guess a better way of wording my question would be: If you are a breeder, how do you know which hatchies are hold backs and which are not?

Last edited:
People choose what they like the look of.I've had plenty of people pass over what I would consider the best ones in a clutch and choose others that in my opinion aren't as nice.

Get the one YOU like. The one you like is the one you get. The one with the nicest markings and boldest colours is what I go for or one that is unique from the others. I chose my spotted because she was the lightest with the biggest blotches, I chose my Jungle because she has a V on her head (My last name starts with V) and a 'pastel' colouring and I got my bredli because he had the Joker's mouth :lol: I like batman hee hee.

Sometimes the snake even chooses you :D

Depending on what species...Patterns-Colour-Blotches-Stripes-RP-Light/Dark ones...Seeing the parents can sometimes determine on how it will turn out,but not always...Ive seen some ugly coastal hatchies which turned out to be stunners..Generally the colour gets better with age-after a few sheds,especially in Jungles-Diamonds etc.....Bottom line is its your choice,pick one that YOU like...

yeah i know you would obviously pick the one you like if it is FOR YOU, but im just trying to get my eye in for picking the right ones if you know what i mean...perhaps for future breeding...which has the most potential...
the first hatchies listed for sale on here are: "pinstripe black headed python hatchlings" and although im not personally looking at BHPs, like I said ^^^ just trying to get my eye in. of those BHPs I would pick number 3 and was wondering if that would be the general consensus, or it is truly a personal preference and there is ZERO technique whatsover.

I'd like to know what to look for when picking albino darwins from a clutch? They seem yellow and pinkish but how do you know which parts will colour up and which parts will go white?

Well with most species of snakes I like... personally I always go for the lighter, most even distinguished patterned snake. However some snakes darken up as they age, but most lighten up, so you always want to do research on how that hatchie will change as it grown before you pick one out. Sometimes its just best to go with your gut, or to grab what ever one looks "different" from that clutch. However I always go for the lightest, most even pattern. Also I look for the most reduced pattern possible but eh thats just me.

You never know....I chose my Diamond based on that she was pretty black and white, but she's getting pretty yellow now!
She also looks like she has two phallic symbols on the side of her head ha ha hilarious ;3

I'd like to know what to look for when picking albino darwins from a clutch? They seem yellow and pinkish but how do you know which parts will colour up and which parts will go white?
I found taking a photo of my albino Darwin with the flash on showed up colours that my eye couldn't see, two years later she has the patterns she had in the pics.

That isn't very helpful for you though as it would seem odd taking a pic of each hatchie before you picked one.

When the breeder says to you (or in this case me, the buyer) they are ALL good feeders (as a breeder should say..) then it comes down to personal choice.
Color and patterns are in the eye of the brholder, as stated above, what the breeder thought was very nice, the customers ignored.
Personally, the decider for me was when he bit me the first time i held him :lol:

When I picked out my darwin, the breeder had his eye on another. He told me it was his favourite of the clutch, this is because he liked the blotchy pattern compared to the striping of some of the others.

But I prefered the striping so I chose one of the more advanced feeders with striping on it.

So I guess it all comes down to a personal preference, especially if the breeder is just in it for the hobby.

The last snake I bought was a Darwin and I chose it out of 10 or more and I thought it looked the best to me. But it was the second last to go so everyone's different its what you like not what everyone likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back