To much weight on DIY background??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchy88

Reaction score
I wanna build a background for the enclosure I'm building I figure I might as well build it properly but I'm unsure if it is gunna be to much weight on the back wall becoz its a 1700Lx600h I've never made one before so I don't really know how heavy they get is this area to big to be putting all that grout and sand?

Mine will be 900x700 and it really comes down to how you are attaching it to your backwall. Mine will be constructed on a backing board with stud adhesive so the weight of the backgound on the MDF should be carried easily enough so long as I don't be a miser with the glue. I then plan to spread the load by screwing it in at least 7 locations (1 in each corner and 3 across the middle).

As yours is wider and assuming you aren't glueing straight to the back wall you will just need to add a few extra anchor points.

weight wont factor too much as long as you build anchor points to secure it, trying to at least balance the weight more to middle bottom will stop it being top heavy this will stop it dropping/pulling down

How ya planning to screw it on? Won't it crack?

- - - Updated - - -

Mine will be 900x700 and it really comes down to how you are attaching it to your backwall. Mine will be constructed on a backing board with stud adhesive so the weight of the backgound on the MDF should be carried easily enough so long as I don't be a miser with the glue. I then plan to spread the load by screwing it in at least 7 locations (1 in each corner and 3 across the middle).

As yours is wider and assuming you aren't glueing straight to the back wall you will just need to add a few extra anchor points.

how ya planning to screw it on? Won't it crack?

I'll either allow some spots where there is no background so I can access the backing board or I'm considering gluing a bit of ply onto the MDF under the foam and screwing through from behind. Probably the latter idea.

you could also build it in a couple of pieces if your worried like 3 peices just lay them out together to cover in whatever your using i did mine this way then stuck them on to the enclosure with liquid nails mine is 1600mm x 650mm using cement render 3 coats worked a treat for childrens pythons and mine dont poo all over the walls so im lucky otherwise i just use f10 wipes to wipe it down

you could also build it in a couple of pieces if your worried like 3 peices just lay them out together to cover in whatever your using i did mine this way then stuck them on to the enclosure with liquid nails mine is 1600mm x 650mm using cement render 3 coats worked a treat for childrens pythons and mine dont poo all over the walls so im lucky otherwise i just use f10 wipes to wipe it down

Did u make the three pieces all as one and then cut the background into the three pieces and toch up the edges where u cut or jst three separate pieces all together and hope they fit

just measured before hand then lay them out together then cover with first coat then put in to measure again then take out and do other coats just keep checking to make sure they fit as you go mate easy done little bit extra work but less headaches in the end....good luck mate

Also maybe a bit easier to install in two or three pieces rather than working with a single length...

If the background rests on the floor of the cage, the only problem will be preventing it falling forward - the actual weight of the background will be fully supported by the bottom of the enclosure. There should be minimal difficulty holding the background in place with a few secure fixings at the top.

Jamie

i did this myself i used 15kg bag of grout
i screwed the shelf and hide in to place and then i used expanding foam
oxide powder for colour
it took ages but my monster bredli loves it
size is 120cm x120cm
DSCF1111.jpgDSCF1113.jpgDSCF1114.jpgDSCF1211.jpgDSCF1209.jpg

Last edited:
Leave 10mm of the top of the backing board free of foam/grout just paint etc then screw to back of enclosure with wafer head screws, bit of paint on screws and alls good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back