shingleback lizard species

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardjasper

Reaction score
Wondering what the different shingleback species are? I recently saw a desert shingleback for sale and wondered what the difference is between desert or normal lizards?
Any pictures of your shinglebacks and what type they are would be a help too. You know, visual aid!:)

All it's is is diffeent localities and sometimes size differences. Plenty of colour varieties some of which are local specific such as the stunning goldfields shingleback which has strong orange marking with either a brown, black or brown and black bodies. Easily one of my favourite lizards and was the first lizard I owned as a young chap! And ive have a few more since. Hers an old pic of one of my beautiful yellow and black ones with my son when he was around one year old.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 277263

Last edited:
Stupid phone! That should do it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 354
All it's is is diffeent localities and sometimes size differences. Plenty of colour varieties some of which are local specific such as the stunning goldfields shingleback which has strong orange marking with either a brown, black or brown and black bodies. Easily one of my favourite lizards and was the first lizard I owned as a young chap! And ive have a few more since. Hers an old pic of one of my beautiful yellow and black ones with my son when he was around one year old.
You couldnt be more wrong!
View attachment 277263
There are indeed different Shinglebacks from one side of the country to the other!
The Goldfields are among Tiliqua Rugosa Rugosa family, the eastern states varient is Tiliqua Rugosa Aspera, The Rottnest island varient is Tiliqua Rugosa Konowi, then you have Tiliqua Rugosa Palarra!!!! Better stop there incase your getting confused !!!

Well said Stimigex.

Lizardjasper I would first try to find out what subspecies they are selling before purchasing as there is considerable pricing difference between them. I'm guessing by "desert" they probably mean the more expensive Western Australian goldfields rugosa rugosa as mentioned above, which are generally larger, chunkier and much more colourful than their coastal cousins. WA Goldfields have a mix of black, orange/red and white markings, and shouldn't have any brown on them as adults. There can still be considerable variation with genuine goldfields with some being almost solid black, all the way through to almost solid orange animals, with most having a mixture of colours.

Try to buy captive bred where possible, and be wary of those with washed out colours, poor condition and old wild caught animals.

Here's a crappy iPhone pic of most of my group of goldfields.

IMG_0428.jpg

I LOVE those shingles!!!!! Amazing colours :D I never knew there was such variation, thanks for sharing ;)

Wondering what the different shingleback species are? I recently saw a desert shingleback for sale and wondered what the difference is between desert or normal lizards?
Any pictures of your shinglebacks and what type they are would be a help too. You know, visual aid!
All Shinglebacks are considered to be a single species i.e Tiliqua rugosa, however there are several distinct subspecies. They are T. r. rugosa, T. r. konowi, T. r. aspera and T. r. palarra.

Varanophile, that's a very attractive and colourful group, as is their meal. Is it tomatoes, peas, carrots and corn kernels in a catfood/dogfood base?

Last edited:
What are the genetics like in them I mean like if two high orange breed would the offspring be high orange or is there a chance they would end up black only wa ones I see over east are dull high black and poor colour

I had a few troubles with breeding when I started out with a group of all wild caught animals (from licensed collectors), but now that my group is more established with young captive bred animals I'm having more consistent results. Would be one of the easier species to breed overall.

As far as temperament goes I couldn't really think of a better reptile. They are very peaceful in the group, and easily tamed. I love that when I sit next to their enclosure, most days I have almost the whole group stroll over to see what I'm up to. I've heard some people complain they are slow moving when compared to say beardies. Whilst they do tend to enjoy life without ever seeming to be in a hurry, I have found them to be much more interactive than any of the beardies I've kept.

Health wise they are generally pretty hardy, but can be prone to respiratory infections, esp with high humidity environments. They can also get quite stressed if kept with more aggressive species. Once again captive bred animals tend to fair much better than those that are wild caught.

- - - Updated - - -

Varanophile, that's a very attractive and colourful group, as is their meal. Is it tomatoes, peas, carrots and corn kernels in a catfood/dogfood base?

Thanks Bushman,
I think that's what is was that day. The vege/fruit part tends to change depending on whats available and i usually mix it in with some kangaroo based dog food. Usually add a higher ratio of veges to meat than that but this was taken a few weeks ago when I trying to fatten the girls up for breeding.

bk201, the genetics seem to follow pretty closely- as with most reptiles brighter parents tend to produce brighter young. The little orange male sitting just below the bluetongue in the pic is one of last years offspring from the orange male to the far left and the female he is sitting on (in shed in this pic), whereas the little dark female squashing the bluetongue is a result of the black female at the bottom left and the red male to the far right.

Well said Stimigex.

Lizardjasper I would first try to find out what subspecies they are selling before purchasing as there is considerable pricing difference between them. I'm guessing by "desert" they probably mean the more expensive Western Australian goldfields rugosa rugosa as mentioned above, which are generally larger, chunkier and much more colourful than their coastal cousins. WA Goldfields have a mix of black, orange/red and white markings, and shouldn't have any brown on them as adults. There can still be considerable variation with genuine goldfields with some being almost solid black, all the way through to almost solid orange animals, with most having a mixture of colours.

Try to buy captive bred where possible, and be wary of those with washed out colours, poor condition and old wild caught animals.

IMG_0428.jpg
is it ok having the western bluies with the shinglebacks?

AMAZING dont really dig lizards but those animals are HOT!!!! Congrats

Absolutely stunning shinglez, do you have any for sale at all?

:oops:
Well said Stimigex.

IMG_0428.jpg

Actually 'true' goldfields can have brown on them. The goldfields is a broad locality and the shinglebacks vary across it. After all they are still T. r. rugosa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back