Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssnakeboyy

Reaction score
Hi everyone

ive done a couple of these threads and narrowed it down to two animals. For a third reptile would it be better for me to get a coastal carpet OR a sand monitor? I like the coastals because they get big and there cheap. I like the sand monitors because they show a little more personality generally speaking.

What would you get , and why?

I keep both (monitors & pythons) but my monitor collection is growing very fast & my python collection is diminishing just as quickly. Monitors have just so much personality, are active during the day when I'm around & 'give back' so much compared to pythons. You need to ask yourself what do you want from the animal? At 12 years old are you going to be able to handle either if they're adults?

if i get a sand monitor i wold hold it to get it out of the cage but when its out id let it walk around the room, pat it etc. are sand monitors a good first monitor to get are they easy to tame? i don't want an ackie because they're to small for my liking.

Monitors don't normally take to being 'patted' & let walk around the room (occasionally some do). Sand monitors are usually a bit skittish but can settle down after a while. I think you should do a heap of research into the animal/s & then decide if its what you really want. Do you have room for it, can you afford to feed it & heat it, will your parents mind a monitor walking around the house... they just don't 'tame' easily, if ever.

At 12 I wouldn't be getting a sandy, and I would not even let my 17 year old son get one. I think you need to stop thinking about size and concentrate on learning about how to keep monitors and what they like and don't like, the latter being treated like dogs that can be patted at will. Same with snakes, because they get big is and they.'re cheap is not a good reason to get one.I have been keeping for a lot of years and have only now considered a monitor as I didn't really want to start with a small one. We have a lacey yearling at work at the moment and gaining it's trust is one step forward two steps back. I trust the most psycho snake in the shop more than the lacey, and the lacey is small.

At 12 I wouldn't be getting a sandy, and I would not even let my 17 year old son get one. I think you need to stop thinking about size and concentrate on learning about how to keep monitors and what they like and don't like, the latter being treated like dogs that can be patted at will. Same with snakes, because they get big is and they.'re cheap is not a good reason to get one.I have been keeping for a lot of years and have only now considered a monitor as I didn't really want to start with a small one. We have a lacey yearling at work at the moment and gaining it's trust is one step forward two steps back. I trust the most psycho snake in the shop more than the lacey, and the lacey is small.

+ 1.

A coastal is a beautiful snake but cost shouldn't be the only consideration when purchasing a reptile. They are like Tattoo's, you really need to know what you want first. Perhaps researching and having a look at a few different types of snakes or lizards would be a wiser option. If you know people with reptiles go and have a handle and ask them 1000 questions.

Size is also easy to think of in length, but when you see a snake that is 2.5m long, it looks way bigger in RL. With considerable size comes considerable cost and care.

You really need to look at your needs and space, what sort of an enclosure and all the other "accessories" that are needed to keep either of these animals, the add on costs on top of buying a reptile are roughly (depending on the snake of course) double or triple the purchase cost. Enclosures, lights, heaters, hides and other decorations, cleaning and sanitising stuff and then there's the small problem of storing frozen rodents in mums freezer. I have heaps of rats and mice in my freezer and people spin out enough when they get ice out for a drink and there's bags of rodents looking at them, and it's my place.

But the number one thing is: You need to work out what you would still like to own and maintain when you're in your 40's. That's a long time from now mate.

I'd just hate to see another "I just got this ill treated reptile from someone who didn't know how to look after it or that it would get this big" thread on here, there are enough of those as it is.

Cheers,

Ned

Last edited:
Truth is whatever you pick you're going to learn what to do and what not to do so it comes down to your personal preference, My cousin got a very feisty diamond python (yes they do exist) and at the age of 14 hes quickly becoming a very enthusiastic keeper. It comes down to what you like more and what you can see yourself taking the time to care for..

id say the bill to feed a monitor 'properly' would be hard for a 12 year old to cover,....unless ofcourse you have awesome parents!!!

So I need more experience for monitors. I just want python bigger than my woma that could go in an out door enclosure when it's an adult.

- - - Updated - - -

So I need more experience for monitors. I just want python bigger than my woma that could go in an out door enclosure when it's an adult.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll have to get something thats from your area so that the weather and humidity are suited to it, coastal would be the way to go ..

I have Sandies wandering around my property and they are a lot less skittish than the lacies. They come right up to the door and will happily let you walk alongside them, even the very large adults. I even walked right up to a big adult and lay down alongside it to take some close up head shots and it just looked at me like I was a bit insane. (It was probably right).

wow 12 years old, i would give my left niagra to be 12 again, for the last 5 years i have been learning all the nuances of my beautiful "BIG" female coastal and i am only now getting another worm (spotty hatchling) that is not to say i know everything about my girl coz i still don't think i will stop learning about her for another 5 years. Why would you want to have a go at something obviously as hard to look after as a sand monitor when you have so much to learn from your Woma, at your tender age you will at some time in the next 5 years find out there is more to life than reptiles, and at that time i hope you have understanding parents because your "pets" will still need the same attention as they always did and i am sure as a lover of reptiles you would not like to see them suffer neglect, i am not saying you will be the stereotype teenager but unfortunately it happens way too often so if you will take the advice of a 55 year old grandfather how about till you are at least 15 you do not make the mistake of many young people and spread yourself too thin in the attention department. I am not trying to dampen your dreams just asking that you think about what is going to be important to you in another 3 years,

Ron

I have Sandies wandering around my property and they are a lot less skittish than the lacies. They come right up to the door and will happily let you walk alongside them, even the very large adults. I even walked right up to a big adult and lay down alongside it to take some close up head shots and it just looked at me like I was a bit insane. (It was probably right).

Bit off topic, but any pics...are you certain they aren't panoptes??

wow 12 years old, i would give my left niagra to be 12 again, for the last 5 years i have been learning all the nuances of my beautiful "BIG" female coastal and i am only now getting another worm (spotty hatchling) that is not to say i know everything about my girl coz i still don't think i will stop learning about her for another 5 years. Why would you want to have a go at something obviously as hard to look after as a sand monitor when you have so much to learn from your Woma, at your tender age you will at some time in the next 5 years find out there is more to life than reptiles, and at that time i hope you have understanding parents because your "pets" will still need the same attention as they always did and i am sure as a lover of reptiles you would not like to see them suffer neglect, i am not saying you will be the stereotype teenager but unfortunately it happens way too often so if you will take the advice of a 55 year old grandfather how about till you are at least 15 you do not make the mistake of many young people and spread yourself too thin in the attention department. I am not trying to dampen your dreams just asking that you think about what is going to be important to you in another 3 years,

Ron
all good, Im not going to get any new Animal for 1 1/2 to 2 years. Because we"ve just built a new house and I want to get settled in and my reptiles settled in first. I'm also going to make a tv cabinet enclosure for Cindy my woma that I got for $1 and after make an outdoor enclosure for my eastern bearded dragon so I'm going to make all that first as well.

Last edited:
+1 to Ron, I'm nearly 48 an many years ago I used to live on a property where my parents leased out paddocks for horses. Many a horse mad girl promptly neglected their animals when they discovered boys, cars and parties. I'm not knocking you or saying you will end up in a similar way just that at 12 you've got a long way to go and a lot of time ahead of you. I would hate to see you having to suffer the sale of your pets due to school or future work, travel commitments etc as you seem a quite genuine young herp lover.

P.S. not inferring you are a girl but just pointing out how really keen animal lovers can suddenly change.

Last edited:
I posted some pics on this thread a while back and there was much discussion about being panopes or gouldii but range wise it would be more likely Gouldii as "antmisk' suggested being in the Nth Burnett region, very similar looking to this one

Thanks Trev, I'd go panoptes also. Apologies OP.

Im throwing my lot in with Antmisk here . That looks like a gouldii to me, not wanting to play devils advocate or anything I.v :).

@ OP, Breed your own woodies etc and get yourself some accies or better yet some gilleni. Monitors make pythons look like bumps on a log:lol:

That looks like a gouldii to me, not wanting to play devils advocate or anything I.v :).
C'mon Dozer, that big roman nose in the original thread is a dead giveaway:)!

I agree with Dozer, gillens over ackies anyday!!

Dont mind me mate, I just realised Im looking at the wrong pic:facepalm:. That first pic definately panoptes, I'll never doubt you again I.V. like you said the honker gives them away:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back