decided to get a jungle carpet python!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my ppurpose of the thread was actually to learn how to choose a nice black and gold jungle as a hatchling. Like which lineage/breeder etc.

Sorry can't really help you much there as I don't own jungles. I believe (correct me if I'm mistaken) the krauss line is pretty good for the black and yellow but someone else would know better than me. Sorry mate.

go the jungles they are cooly cool they are snappy as juveniles but with regular handling and patience they will be awesome

I'm pretty set on a jungle and am looking forward to the challenge in handling them and hopefully calming them down. I never knew about the 6 months "rule" but I wwill most definitely give it at least 6 months before giving up on him if he's too nippy.
my ppurpose of the thread was actually to learn how to choose a nice black and gold jungle as a hatchling. Like which lineage/breeder etc.

Check this mammoth thread out... find the jungles that you like the look of and contact the owner to see if they have any available ;)

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/jungle-thread-104609/

I reckon you will go cross eyed before you get through all 4.5K of the responses on there.....

Keep checking the classified section as well... there's some on there for sale on a regular basis, in a couple of months there will be plenty available when this seasons hatchies are ready to go to new homes.

I can't help on how to choose the colours you want but I can recommend that for a first snake it may be an idea to choose a yearling, Hatchies can be extremely defensive due to how small they are and the lack of confidence they have with us huge humans. "Taming" a snake for lack of better word is more a case of teaching the snake that you mean it no harm and building the snakes confidence in you as well as building your own confidence as a handler, By buying a yearling hopefully it has been handled a bit before you get it plus it is going to be larger than a Hatchie and have some of it's own confidence already.

Hopefully that is something for you to think about, at the end of the day though choose the snake that you wish to spend the next 15/20 years with regardless of which species other people tell you to get.

Also the advice that snake keeping is addictive is very true so be prewarned lol I aim to own Olive pythons eventually but I started with one Bredli to get my confidence and knowledge update, I now own 2x Bredli' and a Murray Darling and am about to convert my shed into a climate controlled, purpose built Reptile Room.

Good luck with your first Python when you choose it.

I'm just a little bit biased here as I have an awesome black and gold Jungle, so I'd say Black and gold. I got it as my first snake and she was the stereotypical Jungle in that she bit everything and everyone, air strikes, strikes at the front of the enclosure. I'd average about 10 tags every time I handled her. She's a pussy cat now and absolutely gorgeous to boot.

Colourwise, if you have a good breeder like we do up here in Darwin, go out have a look at the Sire and the Dam and have a handle of a couple of different hatchies and see which one handles best and don't decide on male or female without handling a few. They will be fairly dull to look at in the beggining but will develop their colour over time. Just keep in mind that the Albino Darwins you see that are white and yellow/orange don't start out like that, They're an all over orange colour, my yearling is just getting her colours now. My Jungle certainly didn't look like she does now.

If you get a Jungle my only advice is not to lose your nerve and get frightened of handling it, they will sense that and it helps to heighten they're senses and put them on edge with snapping the usual result. There's no doubt that the amount of handling all my snakes get would be deemed as overhandling by a lot of other owners, I make no apologies for that as I see the outcome every day I get my critters out. The only time they are not handled is after feeding and then it's 48 hrs before I get them out again.

Enjoy your Jungle mate, they're awesome. Put up some pics when you get it.

Cheers,

Ned

Don't plan what pattern you want at all.

Of my two Jungles I have one that is B+G and the other which has gone to almost white/black. Both are gorgeous snakes.

You'll see, Pattern really only matters the first few days, then you start to appreciate the animal, not its skin.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't plan what pattern you want at all.

Of my two Jungles I have one that is B+G and the other which has gone to almost white/black. Both are gorgeous snakes.

You'll see, Pattern really only matters the first few days, then you start to appreciate the animal, not its skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back