Coastal Python Help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob8290

I got my first python today and she seems to be breathing very heavy and is very shy and also isn't very active but won't use the hide. The trip to pick her up and bring her home was in high temperatures for about 3 hours. I do know she is due to shed in a week or so,could that have something to do with it? There doesn't seem to be any wheezing or mucus although she has yawned about three times. I am just concerned she may be in the beginning stages of respitory infection? The previous owner said she was feeding well and fed a day before. She is aprox 6 ft and 3 years old. Perhaps I am just over reacting, I just would hate for her to become uncomfortable in any way.

She's been moved into a new enclosure and needs to settle down leave her for about 4-6 days, without handling and let her chill, just let her see you changing her water every day

how hot of a temp are we talking about ? , how heavy is the breathing

my coastal never uses his hide , prefers it up high in his leaves , when his stressed out ( as his a little aggro so handling attempts make him mad) he breaths faster and you can see his body sort of expand with the breaths , im thinking this may be the case here imo , leave him alone for a few hours then very very sneakily approach him and see if his still doing it or if his more relaxed

The same enclosure came with her but I will still let her adapt to the change.thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

how hot of a temp are we talking about ? , how heavy is the breathing

my coastal never uses his hide , prefers it up high in his leaves , when his stressed out ( as his a little aggro so handling attempts make him mad) he breaths faster and you can see his body sort of expand with the breaths , im thinking this may be the case here imo , leave him alone for a few hours then very very sneakily approach him and see if his still doing it or if his more relaxed
38+ degrees Celsius. I left her to relax and calm down and just checked on her and she is breathing alot calmer now but still is breathing abit laboured. She still isnt moving much and is climbed across a branch from one side of the enclosure to the other. Is this a good sign?

Currently I do not know the temp
in her enclosure as I only got her today and her enclosure was supposed to come
pre equipped but it turns out it wasn't so I will have all the equipment for her ASAP.

She fed a day before, had a big move into a new home, is/was suffering in high temperatures, AND is suffering from high temperatures. I'm not surprised she's shy and unhappy. :) Make sure all heating is turned off if the temperatures in her tank are particularly hot. Other wise it needs to be on for her digest. Whilst snakes can handle cool temperatures for a long time, extend exposure to hotter weather can do away with them very quickly. The "breathing heavy" could be attributed to her shedding or she could just be hissing because she's mad? :p

I'd suggest leaving her alone to digest her meal and get used to her new home. Moving is usually very stressful for snakes, and last thing anyone wants is for her to throw it back up :)

She seems to be a lot more relaxed now and is breathing properly. She is still being shy but I'll chalk that upto her shredding. Wow, was really worried for a while there. Thanks everyone for the help and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back