'Just the two of us'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic Photos mate. How to do manage to get so close for the good photos without them doing the typical Gaboon gesture of "go away"?

Thanks mate.

Just use a sheet of glass to get in close, or a good zoom lens.

These two are really well behaved though, they only really huff and puff the first time they see you. Then they calm down and sit there like statues lol.

This is their enclosure, males is the same as the females.

EE4CF7F8-F23C-422E-9B5B-0FD0685BB3A8-31210-000013B065E7725E.jpg

1A1CBC36-226C-49C4-8A1D-A585FC79FD29-31210-000013B07038B178.jpg

I like how their heads have the line running down it, as if they're mimicking the stem running through a leaf.

Their enclosures are pretty minimalistic, but they don't make sure of more elaborate set ups like the arboreals or rattlers do!

She's stands out once you know where she is in the pic, but if you were walking through a forest with her under leaves like that...no chance of seeing her.

Thankfully in Africa they don't occupy the same areas where people live, so bites very rarely happen!

To be honest with you, I am not sure whether we have Gaboons in Zoo's here. There may be in the other cities, but I don't think we have one in Melbourne. The "head going white" you mentioned, is that something they all do? Is it an age thing? God they are so cute, it's just ridiculous - the amazing scale patterns on their heads is so unique, I could study it all day. Oh.. and I totally agree with you about the spiders, although I think some people on this forum must be a bad influence because I have seen three Huntsman spiders at my house in the past week and I didn't kill any of them lol.

How do you clean their enclosure? How many other vens do you own? Where did you get them? Sorry for all the questions they are gorgeous just wondering lots of thing like when they breed what will you do with the clutch?

To be honest with you, I am not sure whether we have Gaboons in Zoo's here. There may be in the other cities, but I don't think we have one in Melbourne. The "head going white" you mentioned, is that something they all do? Is it an age thing? God they are so cute, it's just ridiculous - the amazing scale patterns on their heads is so unique, I could study it all day. Oh.. and I totally agree with you about the spiders, although I think some people on this forum must be a bad influence because I have seen three Huntsman spiders at my house in the past week and I didn't kill any of them lol.

No, they don't all do it. It just depends which type of West African Gaboon you have. There are quite a few variations, just pulled up a couple of pics off google:

White head: This is what the parents of my two look like
489250008-west-african-gaboon-viper-bitis-gabonica-captive.jpg

Blue head:
WAGabAD-1.jpg

Pink head:
DSC01004-L.jpg

I prefer the white head. I will gradually get lighter and lighter with each shed, Gabs keep getting better until they're about 2ft in size, mine are only around 1ft at the moment :)

Screw that! I run from big house spiders, I'm not even joking lol. Doesn't make sense!

How do you clean their enclosure? How many other vens do you own? Where did you get them? Sorry for all the questions they are gorgeous just wondering lots of thing like when they breed what will you do with the clutch?

I take them out and put them in another enclosure and then clean theirs :).

I've only got 4 others at the moment. But due to increase quite a bit by the end of this year i hope! At least 5 more minimum.

When they breed i will sell them, there are big shows in Germany & Holland where they have venomous sections, where a lot of people sell their offspring. Although they still won't breed for another 4 years yet. I may not even breed them, as there are so many about there is no point in flooding the market as it were!

That pink one looks kind of bashful lol. How does the color thing work? Are they a specific color per locality, or do they change to blend in with their environment no matter where they are from? I have seen the grey and red (autumn) colored ones before.. the pink is a whole new basket of cute though. And they seem to have some variation in eye color too, from what I can see. Fascinating animal. I'd love to see one in person and study them a bit.

Absolutely incredible! Loving the colours :D I'm with you on the white ones, although the pink is pretty cute too.

That pink one looks kind of bashful lol. How does the color thing work? Are they a specific color per locality, or do they change to blend in with their environment no matter where they are from? I have seen the grey and red (autumn) colored ones before.. the pink is a whole new basket of cute though. And they seem to have some variation in eye color too, from what I can see. Fascinating animal. I'd love to see one in person and study them a bit.

Haha, yeah i guess!

To be honest, i think it's just random lol. So it's easiest to just look at the parents and you know what your babies will look like :)

Especially as a lot of people probably have locales mixed through breeding etc. The parents of mine are both from Ghana.

Grey and red? Never seen red on a Gaboon, sure you aren't thinking of Rhino vipers? (Bitis nasicornis)

Yup, the eye colour seems to blend in with the colour of the head!

Absolutely incredible! Loving the colours :D I'm with you on the white ones, although the pink is pretty cute too.

Thanks! Yeah i love them all, but the white ones are my favourite :)

Good luck with your permit dude, you looking to get rhinoceros or gabonica?
Thank you. I plan on getting them both as they have been on the top of my list for years. I'm just going to take it slow once I get my permit, I don't want to jump rite into it and get in over my head.

Thank you. I plan on getting them both as they have been on the top of my list for years. I'm just going to take it slow once I get my permit, I don't want to jump rite into it and get in over my head.

As long as you don't underestimate them you'll be fine.

ah cooll, best of both worlds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back