diamond python in new aviary

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie123

Reaction score
Spent christmas building this aviary from bunnings for the 12 yr diamond python. Seems happy to stretch and move freely with the sun in her face, will get him sexed and find a suitable yellow partner. installed a sink in back for extra stair room. cost 250 i think from bunnings. Added some styrofoam boxes as hides with aspen bedding inside. The chickens are 3meters away from the aviary so if she gets out i know where to look:lol:.feel free to critisice and give pointers.
dimensions are. 1.8h, 1.5, 1.5
IMG_1165.jpgIMG_1164.jpgIMG_1178.jpgIMG_1172.jpgIMG_1168.jpgIMG_1167.jpgIMG_1175.jpgIMG_1176.jpgIMG_1177.jpg

Could you try putting a soil floor and plant some live plants in there? That would make it look even better and your diamond will love slithering through them!

Great start on the aviary for the diamond. The sink is a great idea. Did you think about some artificial grass for the floor? They are a sturdy cage for the price, we have two of them to keep our cats in.

My only queery is how hot do metal avairys get in summer? I would think timber would be better, especially for diamonds.
Other than that I think if you soften it with plants etc it should do the job nicely. Its heaps better than mine, I don`t have one:cry:

+1 on the temperature question, just curious because i like the idea so i might get a similar aviary if they work well. Other than that, looks great

my aviary is mostly mesh and even with good shade gets far to hot to leave diamonds (or any others) out on hot days. Make sure you have somewhere to put him on days you need to bring him in.

Nice job, Concrete is safer than grass cos grass can sink, a few big pot plants will look awesome and concrete can easily be hosed out.

Im sure the diamond is loving life!!!

THe sink is a great idea, being buried the water should stay nice and cool,...im planning another aviary, i think i'll borrow that idea!! :)

I can't see the heat being too much of a problem with it, if it gets direct sun on the roof you can always affix broccoli box lids either inside or outside of roof, i have a friend in Sydney that keeps peach face parrots and quail in 1 exactly the same as that and when it got too hot in the aviary he did just that using gyprock fixing compound, after that no heat problem....as far as the concrete floor goes i say leave it alone it is functional and easy to clean and after all you only have you and the family to please coz i am sure that absobloodylutely gorgous diamond won't care with all that climbing room, hope i can afford 1 just like it when my big coastal girl gets toooo big to keep inside anymore....more power too you +1 Ron

the concrete floor is easy to clean with the hose and it would be a pain looking for a clutch of eggs through 1metre sq of dirt. measured temps and put aviary in cool position that only gets 4 hours of sun in the morning. the roof gets really hot but in side its cool. i am looking for some nice plants. thinking bamboo any other ideas

Sounds like you`ve got it sorted. Native plants, make it look like the snakes natural habitat. And keep posting pics as it develops. I`d love to do this sort of thing but got plenty of other projects to keep the wife happy first!

Looks great, I would agree with the others and put some potted plants or something in there to soften the look of it. Other than that your snake just goes to show why I want a Diamond, he's a stunner.

Looks good Eddie. Is the sink functional? What was your reasoning behind installing it?
I think it's innovative and funky looking.8) I'm guessing that you're going to fill it up with water.

As mentioned, it may get a bit too hot for a Diamond but there's plenty of ways to help reduce the heat. e.g some form of insulation above or under the roof, and the addition of pot plants.

I notice that there no branch leading up to the hide box (which it will hopefully utilize, as they're excellent insulators against extremes of temperature), so I suggest that you install a branch that helps it get to the entrance hole.

By the way, it's a beautiful specimen.

I have one of these and have lined the inside of the metal walls with foam fake rock panels, which she loves to climb around on, and have installed an alsonite roof over the top so the sun does not heat it up too much. I bring my Diamond girl inside on those hot days over 34C. She has a multitude of hides at different levels including an under substrate cave.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Looks good Eddie. Is the sink functional? What was your reasoning behind installing it?
I think it's innovative and funky looking.8) I'm guessing that you're going to fill it up with water.

As mentioned, it may get a bit too hot for a Diamond but there's plenty of ways to help reduce the heat. e.g some form of insulation above or under the roof, and the addition of pot plants.

I notice that there no branch leading up to the hide box (which it will hopefully utilize, as they're excellent insulators against extremes of temperature), so I suggest that you install a branch that helps it get to the entrance hole.

By the way, it's a beautiful specimen.
we are going to get some plugs for the sink but you will have to carry the water up yourself. i will definately add some insulation thanks.
there are some branches that lead to the nesting area and he goes in there all the time so i assume he can make his way up there

- - - Updated - - -

I have one of these and have lined the inside of the metal walls with foam fake rock panels, which she loves to climb around on, and have installed an alsonite roof over the top so the sun does not heat it up too much. I bring my Diamond girl inside on those hot days over 34C. She has a multitude of hides at different levels including an under substrate cave.

im going to steal a few of your ideas thanks. where did you get the steel roof? bunnings? i have 2 hides which i think is enough and if its too hot outside i have her old enclosure free to put her in.
Have you got a breeding pair in their or just 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back