Blue Tongue Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

element

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)
Mum finally gave in and let me get my reptile licence :D
But she wants to know some things straight from the reptile community, haha.
1. How much does does a reptile licence in nsw cost for 1 year
And
2. How much would a basic tub setup cost for a blue tongue cost?
thanks, I have already looked both of these up before, and how to care for them and basically researched a ton of different herps multiple times but she wants to leave it to the pros ;)
Thanks in advance guys :)

You have to buy 2 years and I believe it is $65, may be wrong.
If you build it yourself and use bunnings ( never use pet shops mate ), probably $100-$200 set up ( enclosure wise.

Hey everyone :)
Mum finally gave in and let me get my reptile licence :D
But she wants to know some things straight from the reptile community, haha.
1. How much does does a reptile licence in nsw cost for 1 year
And
2. How much would a basic tub setup cost for a blue tongue cost?
thanks, I have already looked both of these up before, and how to care for them and basically researched a ton of different herps multiple times but she wants to leave it to the pros ;)
Thanks in advance guys :)

at least you know how to spell blue tongue,that's a great start.You'd be amazed how many people can't even do that.good luck

For a cheap set up to get started with for blue tongues you can use a second hand fish tank, best minimum size would be a 2 foot one. You can then set up a basking lamp at one end. Depending on how you set up your basking lamp you can use the fish tank lids or build a wire lid to keep goodies in and nasties out. Blue tongues are great, I reckon they look like like dinosaurs when you look at their heads close up.

Best of luck.

I used 3' tank for a few years and now use 4' wooden enclosure with red gum chips (any wood chips would do) she loves to burrow through them.Blue tongues are intelligent and curious creatures so give them lots of stuff to explore

I'm not sure of how much the licencing is, I'm in Vic.
Off the top of my head, roughly the cheapest you could get away with setting up an enclosure for it (at least a starter anyway):

Housing:
2foot fish tank: brand new $40; second hand probably about $15-20. Alternatively a large tub: $8-$40 depending on size and quality. In my opinion you're better off getting a fish tank, it might be a little more expensive, but is more durable and more visually appealing than a plastic tub.

Heating:
Pre-wired light fitting for heat light: I've seen them around for between $20-$40, or if you don't mind it looking really ugly get a lamp from bunnings, about $10-12 and just suspend it at the height you need to get the right temps. I also use the philips spot lights ($5.50 for a two pack). Alternatively, a heat cord (around $20-$25, I get them from herp shop) and tile (less than $1 from bunnings depending on size) will do the trick for heating, and last a lot longer than $25 worth of globes, so does work out cheaper!

If you've thoroughly checked out your setup in terms of potential heat output of your heat source, you may not need a thermostat, I'm currently running 3 of ours using only timers, they get ambient temps at night. Either way, you will need a timer, which go for about $10 for a two pack at bunnings.

Lighting:
2 foot flouro fitting: honestly have no idea. I imagine you'd be able to pick up a reasonably priced "plug and play" type kit from bunnings. I would imagine that the uv tube itself would be the most expensive thing about the setup. From memory, I think 2 foot tubes go for around $30-$40? I have heard that you can use the black light uv tubes from bunnings, but replace them more often, but I don't know how much truth is in that.

Substrate: Coco peat bricks from bunnings. Less than $3 a brick and one would cover a 2 foot fish tank nicely, with plenty to spare.

Hides: Cheap but ugly. Ice cream containers with holes cut out, or other similar type things. usually free:) still ugly, but free. Branches etc. Also free if you want them to be.

Water bowl: better off getting a cheap ceramic jobby from a $2 shop, they won't be able to tip it over like they would a plastic container. about $2;)

As an alternative to buying everything individually, if you find a secondhand fish tank setup, they are usually very cheap, and though it will be set up for fish, you'll probably pick up a tank with a light included, so it would work out more cost effective, even if you just throw out the stuff you don't need. You'll still need to buy a uv tube though.

If you don't have any other critters, you shouldn't need a lid for it. If you do have other critters to keep out of the tank, you could buy a lid (more expensive) or make a lid (more ugly.) Couldn't give you prices for that though.

I think that's everything, if I forgot anything, I'm sure someone else will mention it:D Good luck with your potential new blue tongue!:)

I'm not sure of how much the licencing is, I'm in Vic.
Off the top of my head, roughly the cheapest you could get away with setting up an enclosure for it (at least a starter anyway):

Housing:
2foot fish tank: brand new $40; second hand probably about $15-20. Alternatively a large tub: $8-$40 depending on size and quality. In my opinion you're better off getting a fish tank, it might be a little more expensive, but is more durable and more visually appealing than a plastic tub.

Heating:
Pre-wired light fitting for heat light: I've seen them around for between $20-$40, or if you don't mind it looking really ugly get a lamp from bunnings, about $10-12 and just suspend it at the height you need to get the right temps. I also use the philips spot lights ($5.50 for a two pack). Alternatively, a heat cord (around $20-$25, I get them from herp shop) and tile (less than $1 from bunnings depending on size) will do the trick for heating, and last a lot longer than $25 worth of globes, so does work out cheaper!

If you've thoroughly checked out your setup in terms of potential heat output of your heat source, you may not need a thermostat, I'm currently running 3 of ours using only timers, they get ambient temps at night. Either way, you will need a timer, which go for about $10 for a two pack at bunnings.

Lighting:
2 foot flouro fitting: honestly have no idea. I imagine you'd be able to pick up a reasonably priced "plug and play" type kit from bunnings. I would imagine that the uv tube itself would be the most expensive thing about the setup. From memory, I think 2 foot tubes go for around $30-$40? I have heard that you can use the black light uv tubes from bunnings, but replace them more often, but I don't know how much truth is in that.

Substrate: Coco peat bricks from bunnings. Less than $3 a brick and one would cover a 2 foot fish tank nicely, with plenty to spare.

Hides: Cheap but ugly. Ice cream containers with holes cut out, or other similar type things. usually free:) still ugly, but free. Branches etc. Also free if you want them to be.

Water bowl: better off getting a cheap ceramic jobby from a $2 shop, they won't be able to tip it over like they would a plastic container. about $2;)

As an alternative to buying everything individually, if you find a secondhand fish tank setup, they are usually very cheap, and though it will be set up for fish, you'll probably pick up a tank with a light included, so it would work out more cost effective, even if you just throw out the stuff you don't need. You'll still need to buy a uv tube though.

If you don't have any other critters, you shouldn't need a lid for it. If you do have other critters to keep out of the tank, you could buy a lid (more expensive) or make a lid (more ugly.) Couldn't give you prices for that though.

I think that's everything, if I forgot anything, I'm sure someone else will mention it:D Good luck with your potential new blue tongue!:)

Thank you so much :) I'm recon im gonna go for a fishtank now, haha.
Also sorry if this sounds really noobish but I'm guessing coco peat is a cheaper version of Eco earth?

do your license online and you will get a 10% discount and if you keep renewing it online every time its due to be renewed you will get the same discount, probably cheaper to get a 5yr one (add up what you will pay for 5 separate years and compare it) and dont forget you will need to keep your records which can also be done online now, much easier then the old paper stuff and you can also print it off if you want to keep a hard copy record

blueys are something im going to be looking in now our inside enclosure is empty because the beardies are outside in their own enclosures and probably when old enough the blueys will go out there as well, i bought 'chicken coops' from ebya which have a nesting box and both the BD's have learnt to go up the ramp at night and sleep in the nesting boxes and come down the ramp every morning for a day in the sun and they will stay in the boxes on cold or wet days and keep warm, very smart cookies indeed so this thread contained some information for me too

the other day the council workers trimmed some branches from around the power lines and i tossed some of the leaves into their enclosures and now the male sleeps under them at night and every morning pokes his head out, looks so cute

All you guys got to be joking, 2 foot "tub" don't you realise that blueys get about 1 foot in length. I'm sure your intelligent, inquisitive and sure to become overweight lizard will love being able to walk 30cm before having to stop and turn around. The very fact you want a cheap basic setup for an intelligent animal just shows how little you care. I say a 3 by 2 by 2 MINIMUM mines in a 4 and even then I sometimes think he needs more room to do his exploring. If you want to keep something you can give "poo all basics" buy a Fighter fish. shame on you for encouraging him getting this tiny tub just so he can save costs. This forum is losing the people who know what's right and will show other people that, and is gaining more people who will follow what the first person posts like sheep.

All you guys got to be joking, 2 foot "tub" don't you realise that blueys get about 1 foot in length. I'm sure your intelligent, inquisitive and sure to become overweight lizard will love being able to walk 30cm before having to stop and turn around. The very fact you want a cheap basic setup for an intelligent animal just shows how little you care. I say a 3 by 2 by 2 MINIMUM mines in a 4 and even then I sometimes think he needs more room to do his exploring. If you want to keep something you can give "poo all basics" buy a Fighter fish. shame on you for encouraging him getting this tiny tub just so he can save costs. This forum is losing the people who know what's right and will show other people that, and is gaining more people who will follow what the first person posts like sheep.
i think everyone was talking about babies not adults...

I know I was talking about a starter setup for one, not to mention that everyone else who replied also mentioned that their setup was for a starter. Why would you put a hatchling lizard straight into a huge tank? I currently have several animals in tanks that will be too small for them when they are fully grown. That doesn't mean that I will make them stay in those enclosures when they are no longer an appropriate size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back