Motion Detection Camera Koo Wee Rup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Catcher Victoria

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Im posting this here as the bandicoot could well have been a young jacky dragon, bluetongue or snake.

[video=youtube;1SIVirQ8Iyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SIVirQ8Iyw[/video]

Published on Jan 13, 2013Short video showing domestic cat killing juvenile Southern Brown Bandicoot (a nationally endangered species) at Koo Wee Rup, Victoria, Australia, January 2013.

i know some will disagree but these are the cases where a hunter should be allowed to go in , set up and drop the cat quickly ( well quickly once the cats shown his face) and efficiently , sure the people allowed to do it should be screened to avoid any idiots being allowed in but it sure beats baits imo

Last edited:
Maybe we need a few more Dingos around? They seem to keep the cats and foxes in check (apologies Sheep Farmers but JMO).

Yeah everyone I know that goes hunting drops everything to take down a cat. I think its great...see a cat outside-take it down. Its illegal for it to be running around anyways, you are doing the wildlife a favour.
Poor thing tho

Last edited by a moderator:
Feral cats, bah! They're as useful to Australia as mites are useful to snakes. They are pests, well at lest the scrubbies get a decent meal when there are no wallabies around :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that im for this at all, i think its disgusting to see such a feral introduced species harming anything (let alone OUR animals!) but i wonder what peoples opinions would be if the video showed a large python having the bandicoot for lunch ...

Anyone that does wildlife rehab knows the problem only too well.

As far as being law to lock up your cat goes, it comes to local govt. I know in my local council area it is not illegal for cats to roam, and all they have is a token cat ownership advisory fact sheet on their website about being responsible.Bit of a shame really.

Not that im for this at all, i think its disgusting to see such a feral introduced species harming anything (let alone OUR animals!) but i wonder what peoples opinions would be if the video showed a large python having the bandicoot for lunch ...
personally , so long as the snake was NATIVE id say thats life the food chain if you will , hell if the cat was native i would say thats life , fact is that it isnt native and WE have INTRODUCED it , therefore it should be OUR responsibility to give a damn and get rid of the buggers

ive been thinking about this point again and to put it into an different perspective , dogs , i love dogs they can be the most loyal companion you can ever have , but in my area wild dogs are the problem ( not cats ) loving them as much as i do i still have (and would do again) shot a wild feral

if i found a boa , corn or anything else that was an exotic reptile i would still turn it into the authorities knowing that it will most likely be destroyed , its about keeping our bushland the way it is supposed to be , free of feral's

Last edited:
personally , so long as the snake was native id say thats life , hell if the cat was native i would say thats life , fact is that it isnt native and WE have INTRODUCED it , therefore it should be OUR responsibility to give a damn and get rid of the buggers

This issue is new to me, is anything being done at the moment ?

Apples and oranges, pythons are native. They have a place in our ecosystem eating animals. Cats do not. As much as I like cats, ferals are just furry targets

This issue is new to me, is anything being done at the moment ?
sort of , depends what way you look at it , i think national parks are doing something but it probably involves traps or baits , then there is land owners who shoot them on sight and and firearm enthusiasts ( i wouldn't call alot of them hunters) who come in to do it for them if they dont have the firearms themselves

apparently their has been a law passed that will allow people to enter national parks to cull the animals ( feral species ) but i dont know what the regulations will be on that

The difference would be that the python would be native, and therefor it would only be what is natural and it wouldn't upset the ecosystem. Also, cats rarely eat what they kill; they just toy with them. A python would be doing it for survival.

I've shared this on my Facebook page. If everyone does the same, maybe we can change the habits of some cat owners.

I admit I have a soft spot for cats, but they are serial killers when it comes to wildlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back