Taming my new 4 year old python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too late. Just give it to someone who knows how to handle a defensive python.

I agree with Snowman at Four years of age, it's going to be hard work. Get your-self a baby and go from there.

I don't believe pythons need to be tame. If they want to be narky let them be narky. Just handle it in a different manner to your pythons that tolerate handling

- - - Updated - - -

Or perhaps rather than train the python, train yourself by improving your skills.

I don't believe pythons need to be tame. If they want to be narky let them be narky. Just handle it in a different manner to your pythons that tolerate handling

- - - Updated - - -

Or perhaps rather than train the python, train yourself by improving your skills.

Wow! Somone else gets it!

Snakes do not become tame.
They become more accepting of being handled if not mishandled or mistreated.

The big clincher here as he said in an earlier attempt at this thread, he has had the snake a week and has tried to handle it three times... The very first thing I would personally do is LEAVE IT ALONE! Don't disturb it other than for a feed for the first two weeks while it settles into its new enclosure, even if you bought its enclosure it needs to get used to the scents and sights that it has been moved into. If it is your first snake it will pick up on your nerves, you need to reach in confidently and not hesitate. You mentioned in another post that you wear heavy gloves... ditch them too. They do not let you have a good sense of how firmly you are gripping your snake. If you are really that toey about being tagged use Longqi's method and cover your hands with pillow slips and if the enclosure allows approach the snake from the front and slightly lower, once out and settled you can remove the pillow cases. Alternatively use a hook to initially help get the snake out and to control its head.

If possible find someone near you who has snakes and get them to show you some handling techniques. If getting bitten is a really big issue think about finding it a new home and get a different pet as getting tagged is part and parcel of owning a snake, the fear is greater than the bite as a rule and it is their rapid movement which is most intimidating.

Oh and don't handle it for two or three days after a feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back