Who to trust when buying from another state?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CameronWright

Reaction score
Okay so I'm buying some pythons from another state and getting them freighted here,
I've done it before but through sxr witch was very straight forward and I felt very safe doing so,
But from just a breeder I feel a bit different about it,
How can I know to trust them? And what's the best way to go with paying? What can I do for instance if I don't receive the pythons?
Thanks,
Cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy from a reputable dealer who is well known and people have bought off and shipped interstate before.

if spending BIG $$$ i would only deal with the big guns... but if it was only $100 or so i would probably risk it...
or you can try and get them to agree to payment through PayPal (get them to open an account etc...)? PayPal has a feature where you can put in a dispute if you have not received the items... tho it needs to be done with in 45 days of the transaction... Then they will see about getting your money back.

Buy from a reputable dealer who is well known and people have bought off and shipped interstate before.

+1. I got my first python from a breeder I met here, he had fantastic feedback, was helpful and knowledgeable from the start, even helped me apply for my import permit, and spent most of the day on the phone to me when the airport delayed the flight she was meant to be on!

Pretty sure you cannot get a refund on a livestock transaction through paypal,also would the buyer be prepared to pay extra to cover paypal charges?.

OP,You could always start a post asking if such and such is reputable or not and ask for info via PM.

Pretty sure you cannot get a refund on a livestock transaction through paypal,also would the buyer be prepared to pay extra to cover paypal charges?.

OP,You could always start a post asking if such and such is reputable or not and ask for info via PM.

hmm, there goes that idea... thanks ramsayi... just did a quick search & no they dont cover live animals. so with that in mind i would just stick with the reputable guys / girls.

Last edited:
Check their feedback, if on here.
Contact previous buyers to gauge their experiences. The breeder will have these peoples details.
The Aus herp scene is very reputation based and those that care about that reputation the will do the right thing.

When i frieght to interstate i even post pics of what i used to frieght in (plastic click-clack in an outer wooden box) to give piece of mind.

Again there will be exceptions to good guys but they usually get outed..... Ask for references

As Yommy says, references are the way to go. I would not worry about forum feedback so much, but a reputable dealer should be able to give you a few names of recent and past customers as references. I have been contacted by people about other sellers and am always honest. Fortunately, there are many people from here that I can recommend. Contact at least 2 of the references!

Just curious what site did you buy the reptiles from? If it is The HerpTrader I might be able to give you a bit of feedback on the advertiser...(if you send me the name in a pm).

Just curious what site did you buy the reptiles from? If it is The HerpTrader I might be able to give you a bit of feedback on the advertiser...(if you send me the name in a pm).
You have been very helpful to me in the past with confidential feedback. Always good advice.

Thanks everyone for your help,
Still debating it, and it's on another reptile forum (don't think I can name it)
But yeh his got a few reptiles high quality And expensive herps for sale, yet no feedback on the site, I asked if be is a member here and he is but no feedback on here too, he tells me that he has been keeping reptiles for 17 years and its not that I don't trust him it's Just hard to trust anyone these days,
Also I feel Like I've been asking to much if I ask for references..
Pm me if you would like to know what ad I'm talking about and let me know what you think,
Cheers

A little something to consider is l ALWAYS give buyers my home number not a mobile....solar 17

I agree with Solar, I have gotten one of his snakes shipped to Melbourne. Getting a home line gives you a great reference point should any thing go hay wire. As well The Melbourne V.H.S reptile expo is on at the show grounds on the 16th of Feb. Great prices towards the end of the day.

Some people (like me.) don't use a home phone, I have a mobile with me at all times so I don't see the point.

I've made a hell of a lot of trust based transactions in the past and have not been burnt as yet, not saying it doesn't happen, maybe I've been fortunate. I've received a couple of dodgy animals though.

A little something to consider is l ALWAYS give buyers my home number not a mobile....solar 17
Yes very good point,
Might ask for some more details,

For instance say that I have his address and ph number all that and I don't receive herp, is there anything I can do or is it all on me for paying?

Just ask for references, I was contacted only a few days ago, pby a member, who asked if I could provide a reference for a breeder I have dealt with previously.
I had no problems in replying and giving a good reference as the breeder is fantastic.
Equally if people ask me for references I am happy to provide. Given this is such a small industry, you can find out who is reputable and who is not very quickly.
You only need to ask around.

If someone thinks you are asking for too much when you ask for references for a long distance transaction, then they are not good to do business with. Get over the shyness and ask! I have provided glowing references for a number of people I have dealt with because they have done the right thing by me. I am sure that he will be able to provide a list of people if you ask.

The answer is really quite simple. Do your homework.
Would you buy a tv from a guy in the street if you didn't know anything about him? But the same guy who has had dealings with your friends and proven their own good character??

There are some excellent sellers/breeders around. And unfortunately there are those doing dodgy deals in reptile breeding as with anything where a guy can make a dollar.

.Get over the shyness and ask!.
Yeh your right, thanks ill be sure to do this in the morning

The answer is really quite simple. Do your homework.
Would you buy a tv from a guy in the street if you didn't know anything about him? But the same guy who has had dealings with your friends and proven their own good character??

There are some excellent sellers/breeders around. And unfortunately there are those doing dodgy deals in reptile breeding as with anything where a guy can make a dollar.

Trust me I've tried, I've searched his name, email, every bit of details I've got,
Only thing I have to do is get references,

Thanks for your help everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back