"Compact" UVB Globes - Health Issues?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris

There was a topic recently in a Facebook group where someone was discussing the 'apparent issues' with these globes, they are allegedly bad for the reptile's eyes & cause a heap of health issues. I asked for some documented proof but of course none was forthcoming.

Has anyone ever had any issues with them or know of some substantiated proof that they're bad news?

Has anyone been using them for years with no issues at all?

These are the ones I'm talking about, specifically made by Exoterra.

I have used them before with no issues. I used them in very close contact with bearded dragons (20 - 30cm) for nearly 1 year (2 changes of bulbs). I have heard that they can be bad although I haven't experienced it.

There are plenty of documented cases of photokeratoconjunctivits from different UVB globes. Usually when the animal can get too close to the globe. Do the globes in question have a recommended distance on them somewhere?

Thanks guys. I did assume that anything Exoterra bought out was of a reasonable quality. Instructions on the boxes recommend a certain distance.

I have been using Exoterras compact UVB's on dragons, frogs, geckos for 5+ years and now more recently Green Tree Snakes.
I have always used 5.0 uvb on everything but desert dwelling dragons of which I use 10.0 uvb.
I have not had a single issue.

Last edited:
I use them....haven't had a problem at all. They are great imo :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back