my latest keelback vivarium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James_Scott

Reaction score
Its been months in the making but I am nearly done. This is a 4 foot vivarium with live plants, heated water, false floor and external canister filter. Will be moving some guppies and keelbacks in next week.

Attachments

• 20130115_210656.jpg
    20130115_210656.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 1,618
You're a liar, you didn't make this. Clearly you found a beautiful place in the bush, got an excavator and dug it up then stuck it this enclosure.

Great job nonetheless, but where'd you get the background?

WOW thats pretty cool!!!
can we get some more information about the build I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering how you made such a nice enclosure :)

Incredible work! Are those live plants easy to maintain? Can't wait to see pics of the residents enjoying their new home 8)

That is really cool man! All the hard work you put in has definately paid off.

amazing.. i have a million questions.. If you find time im sure a write up on the build would be greatly appreciated :)

The background is rather simple but time consuming. First you put black silicon on the back and side walls to make it pretty from the outside. Then use small amounts of expanda foam for texture in the shape of roots. then cover it all with brown silicon and whilst it is wet push peat moss into it. The vines are pieces of string and rope covered in silicon and dipped in peat moss. The lights are 20w led flood lights which are needed to produce the 1000-5000 lumens for the plants to thrive. Ive gone with the egg crate method of building the flase floor. For all those who are imterested in this kind of enclosure google dendroboard raf. He was my inspiration and has 48pages of instructions.

I have spent hours drooling over builds on dendroboard.

What plants have you used?

Thanks for all the kind words guys. The plants are mainly hoya varieties that tend to do well in vivariums. There are also bromiliads and orchids. There are plenty of air plants to fill in the space until the hoyas take over and then they will be removed. There is also a small parlor palm in the corner.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anybody know where in Melbourne I can get cheap freshwater shrimp?

Last edited:
I have put some cherry shrimp and guppies in now, as well as two young keelbacks. The keelbacks love it and have explored every inch of their new home. I will post a link to a quick video of their first swim in the pool.

Keelback Paludarium - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back