snake catcher bitten , passes out at wheel

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless theres a decent a photo and good description we can only give a opionion,some snakes are easy to identify,but for example a Keelback-rough scale snake its alot harder,too many people take what they hear-say from the internet..

Clear photo and an identification can be made, at least to generic level easily.

iv anyone who works with or knows elapids, will NOT take Tropidechis lightly.

cheers
scott

IMO one point should be made very clear here and that is unless you're 100% sure of the ID of any wild snake all appropriate first aid should be administered if you are bitten. We are only human and regardless of experience and in some cases lack thereof we all make mistakes (as shown in the article). I have seen so many people throughout my career become complacent with snake bites no matter how experienced they have been......."I'm fine, it's only a BTS I'll only get a headache fom it".....wrong.....misidentified by a professional. It only takes one mistake and a small amount of complacency.......just saying :)

Hang on, wasn't the man bitten a "snake catcher" for WIRES? One would assume that the handling course that they do would contain a section on ID? If the snake catcher cannot ID the snake, at least be able to distinguish between an elapid and a colubrid, then they should stop snake catching!

Hang on, wasn't the man bitten a "snake catcher" for WIRES? One would assume that the handling course that they do would contain a section on ID? If the snake catcher cannot ID the snake, at least be able to distinguish between an elapid and a colubrid, then they should stop snake catching!

The entire point of my post...

Or at least treat anything your not 100% sure about as an elapid, which I think is everyone elses point.

Last edited:

Thats is concerning I agree.

Yes he should, as should anyone in the same position who has done your course or any other.

Not sure how experienced the poor bloke is, but I reckon he might have to give it away.
Maybe he's eyes are letting him down, Tropidechis an boiga aren't that hard to distinguish between. Something went wrong there, he couldn't have got a good look at it.

Not sure how experienced the poor bloke is, but I reckon he might have to give it away.
Maybe he's eyes are letting him down, Tropidechis an boiga aren't that hard to distinguish between. Something went wrong there, he couldn't have got a good look at it.
Couldn't agree more. It's easy where I live, they're all dangerously venomous, tigers, copperheads and RBB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back