live feed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkiv5

Not so new Member
Reaction score
This topic come up and now I really want to know the answer. I know its not recommended but is it actually illegal to feed snakes live rats? I'm in qld to since every state has its own rules.

I live in QLD too and I was told by another snake owner roughly 5 years ago that it is illegal in this state to feed your reps live food. Not sure how true it is. I am glad all mine eat thawed any way. It's heaps easier.

Yes, It is Illegal in Australia. But I want to know what happens if your snake only eats live ?

I know during the summer months where I live its usually around 40 - 42 degrees every day so they just don't breed, so there's your problem for a start if your rep isn't eating thawed food, sometimes you have hit a dull period where there are no live rodents any where. Then you can have a waiting period of up to 6 months of no food. I know a snake can go for a while without food, but why would you knowingly put your snake through that, rather than putting it onto thawed food?

Where I am there's rats all year round, and I breed my own. But my coastal won't have a bar of frozen or anything else like quail or whatever. He didn't eat for a bit over 6 months because I was trying to get him to eat thawed rats. I've tried freshly killed, rubbing rats on quails, thawing rats and I had a reptile lad come around and give him yoghurt and try feed him thawed and nothing. I know its dangerous but he's 5 and the previous owner fed him live.

there is this huge myth in the reptile community that live feeding is illegal, well its not true.
it is not recomemded by most people, breeders and rspca and other animal wealther orginisations but ITS LEGAL.
their is no law that you can't live feed and there is no punishment if you do.

My partner works for parks and his boss told him that its illegal so I turned to you guys to find out, i sent derm an email also

My partner works for parks and his boss told him that its illegal so I turned to you guys to find out, i sent derm an email also

Best in future to do your research (exactly what you have done here, so well done!) before developing an opinion. In essence, and Im sure DERM will come back with the official ruling which will be interesting if you dont mind sharing, No its not illegal to Live Feed but Yes its frowned on.

No its not, its against RSPCA recommendations unless things have changed.
Can I feed live mice to a reptile? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase
cheers sniper i was going to post the exact same link :) saved me the hassle

as it says there , no it isnt illegal , it is only a recommendation and IS NOT ENFORCEABLE BY LAW , i love the way people just believe the hear say that pet shops and rat lovers feed people , they just don't question it at all , i don't condone live feeding and wouldn't do it , but im not about to preach a law that doesn't exist , yes its a bad thing to do and i wouldn't do it with out good cause

To Justin
Just because it isn't illegal does not mean it should be done under normal circumstances, it only takes 1 miss-aimed strike at a grumpy mouse for your snake to loose an eye..

Ill definitely post what derm says :) thanks for all the posts

only in the worst case scenario should you feed live. Ie if a hatcho will not feed on thawed rodents and is going to die otherwise.

To Justin
Just because it isn't illegal does not mean it should be done under normal circumstances, it only takes 1 miss-aimed strike at a grumpy mouse for your snake to loose an eye..

Of course. If I ever do decide to feed my snakes live food I'd stun the mouse before hand. Each to there own though. Everybody has a different view on it

I just got done browsing this thread. It would have been crazy if it was illegal to feed live. I mean I feed all my snakes f/t, and all my rescue snakes came to me feeding live from there old owners before I got them and they all have scars to prove it (they all now eat f/t). So I have seen hands on why live feeding can be bad for the snake.

Just some snakes will only eat live, or need to eat live during the transaction to f/t, or some breeders need live food to get back into eating after laying a clutch, or after they have been fasted for a long time. And it seems like the owner should have the choice to feed live... even though no good really never comes from it, unless there is a special circumstance to do it.

The rodents will did any way. So what's the big deal it's not like your bringing back to life or anything. What if you have a problem feeder that won't take frozen.
Think of it this way, Would you rather have a heathly snake that eats live or a dead snake because you wouldn't feed it live.
You choose, dead snake or happy snake.

The rodents will did any way. So what's the big deal it's not like your bringing back to life or anything. What if you have a problem feeder that won't take frozen.
Think of it this way, Would you rather have a heathly snake that eats live or a dead snake because you wouldn't feed it live.
You choose, dead snake or happy snake.

I dont think anyone here would disagree with live feeding as a last resort, it is people who do it for no genuine reason that have rocks for brains.
Mods maybe we can close this thread now, the OP has their answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back