feeding- how long do I wait between feeds?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brierleys_girl

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm back again with another (probably obvious) question, but I've googled for 2 hours and come up with nothing.

Alright. I have a 12month old Bredli. Unsure of weight but he's probably 80cm long. He's been feeding on mice, but I've just recently (like this morning) changed him to rats. He's just eaten a hopper rat. Well that's what the store labelled them as.
What I want to know is I was feeding him mice once a week, but since the rat is about a centimetre longer and wider, do I need to now feed him once every ten days or once a week still? Or am I completely off? I just don't want to overfeed him & make him a fatty.

Thanks in advance!

When they're that young, I don't think you can turn them into fatties! He'll just put everything into growing. I wouldn't be too concerned about maintaining a strict feeding schedule. We used to feed ours once a week (or fortnight for the big ones) like clockwork, but I've since cut back, so it varies. Once I panicked because I couldn't remember the last time I'd fed the littlies, so defrosted some rodents for them. Didn't think to check my feed logs til after the rats were thawed out, it'd only been 4 days!

I would stick to once a week. I also agree with the poster above me. I aim to feed most of my snakes once a week but sometimes they get fed as frequently as every 5 days, or sometimes I will forget and go up to 12 days... I really try to feed my snakes that small once every 5 - 8 days though. It gets difficult to remember the exact days the more snakes you have of different sizes/feeding needs, and you have a separate feeding schedule for all of them. I once fed one of my Womas three times in a two days period because I had a trouble feeder who needed to be fed a day later than everybody else... I just threw the rat in his cage by habit, and then he got a left over from another trouble feeder.

Every 7-8 days works for me, but sometimes they'll be hungry sooner. I also prefer to let them poo before I feed them again if possible:)

Age old question that you will never find the perfect answer.
I feed every 10-14 days after the 1st year to 18 months but its each to their own.

my yearlings are getting fed a fuzzy rat once a week if thats any help...

I feed my kings, rat and hognoses every 5 days. My jcp, woma and corn every 7 days and my boa every 2 weeks. My Royals, well they are another story all together :what:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

My Diamond is on hopper/weaner rats (depending on which pet shop I go to) and she gets fed about once a fortnight. Sometimes it's a little bit longer if I'm trying to avoid the 35+ degree days. She doesn't care. She's a fat girl trapped in my girls body, she'll eat whenever.

The BP hunger strikes, that must suck trying to feed them buffcoat...

My 12month takes a fuzzy rat every 7 days :D

I offer every friday most of mine will feed that often but I have one (stimmi) that went 4 1/2 months without eating, then ate every week for a year and now hasn't eaten in about 2 months, doesn't worry me and the other snake who gets the left overs loves it! (I use the old choosing technique inny meeny miny mo lol) my 4 1/2 foot bredli gets medium rats once a week but next feeding (tomorrow) will have its first large rat!

The BP hunger strikes, that must suck trying to feed them buffcoat...

My 12month takes a fuzzy rat every 7 days :D

Suck isnt the word I'd use. They actually kinda showed interest last night so when I offered, they balled up until I left the room. When I came back, they were roaming around like nothing happened. Such a pita!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back