Is Breeding Rats worth it ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No !!
But there are those that will tell you it is! It takes time and money to breed rodents and with the price you can buy them for off sites like this you wouldnt bother!

i think someone did the maths in a previous thread and it only became worth it if you owned more than 8 snakes. so in your situation i dont think its worth the money. or you could just go out and buy another 6 snakes. that would solve your little problem.

Okay thanks, I'm angry because my cousin left at my frozen rats over night in the bag there was around 50-70. Now I have to waste my money to buy rats again.. Cheers for your help mate, Much Appreciated.

i think someone did the maths in a previous thread and it only became worth it if you owned more than 8 snakes. so in your situation i dont think its worth the money. or you could just go out and buy another 6 snakes. that would solve your little problem.

i recently did the maths on this myself, and it is more then worth it for me mainly because i enjoy keeping rats. It takes atleast the same amount of time as my reptiles. and i produce more then enough rats for my collection which is sizeable. I initially just started charging myself for rats i use inhouse at my selling price, and that alone is enough money saved to cover keeping and feeding them, obviously my time has to be free. This is not including the money i get by selling to a few local keepers. For you though with two snakes you would be silly to breed rats as it would cost you 5-8 bucks a week to feed them buying from a snake food breeder

If you dont value your time or rent of your space then it would be more prfitable growing potatoes. You only need a bit of dirt and water. No cages or food, so you'd have to be ahead. If you have a family then all the more potatoes you can eat!

Yep buy rats and grow your own food to feed your family. It works out heaps cheaper. I'm off to slaughter a sheep for some cutlets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problems breeding rats I have two reptiles and another 2 on the way, I feed them cat food mixed with bird seed and left over vegetables that my family does not eat. ATM it is worth it for me I was buying rats at the local pet store for 2 dollars a pinky and 7 dollars a sub adult which is 11 dollars a week (2 pinkies 1 sub adult)which is 572 dollars a year which way to much for me to afford being a 16 year old kid.

What if you bred the rats for your snakes and your self. If 8 is the magic number then you having 2 snakes would just have to eat enough for 6 snakes. Could be alright. Kebabs, stir fry, curry ......... Saves buying beef ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back