Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyDiamond

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok I have heard that you should slowly upsize their food. Does anyone do that?

Or is that just another story?!

Are you planning on feeding small feeds to your snake forever? Do a bit of research about feeding
your animal. Do you still eat the same meal size that you did when you were 6 months old?

Snakes require the correct size food as the grow, this means upsizing is generally a gradual process. You don't jump from pinky mice to jumbo rats it takes time.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone told me i should upsize my pythons food slightly by every second shed
You will find that upsizing food should be based on size not so much how many times they shed. I generally feed young snakes 10% to 20% of the snakes weight as a food item, once they mature they only require minimal food to maintain condition.

Last edited:
Are you planning on feeding small feeds to your snake forever? Do a bit of research about feeding
your animal. Do you still eat the same meal size that you did when you were 6 months old?

Hi Darlyn,

Not sure it you can actually read or not!! but i did ask "if you should SLOWLY UPSIZE their feeds". Yes i have done hours of research on feeding etc. i was more wanting info regards to the Albino Darwin!! as i have stated in first post that i was told that you should slowly upsize because the skin this thinner and proven to splitting, is that true? does anyone do that etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not rocket science as the snake grows increase the size of the food item, species type make no difference, just increase the food size as the snake grows. Better to feed slightly smaller than maybe too big.

I was just wanting to know if what I've ask is true or not regarding the albinos in particular, that is all.

Honestly...my stimsons when from small fuzzie rats to Hopper rats in a single feed. They stretched but it was nothing that they could not handle! Each to their own. They have been eating these hopper rats for a solid year now and are going strong. Also recently my little coastal went from pinkie rats to a small hopper rat. Took it easily (about 15-20minutes).
Each to their own. But good luck finding your answer :)

Hi Darlyn,

Not sure it you can actually read or not!! but i did ask "if you should SLOWLY UPSIZE their feeds". Yes i have done hours of research on feeding etc. i was more wanting info regards to the Albino Darwin!! as i have stated in first post that i was told that you should slowly upsize because the skin this thinner and proven to splitting, is that true? does anyone do that etc etc.

Im not sure on the skin thickness and being prone to splitting if fed too large a meal, I would think that if you feed an overly large prey item, it may happen ( probably very very rare) but I would think that if you feed a sensible sized item, it would be unlikely to happen ( they are very elasticised)

Its good to stretch the jaw though because they get what's called pin head disease if you keep the food at a smaller size where they don't have to dislocate as much. I've seen coastals eat large possums easily hahaha. it won't hurt it to give it slightly to be meals, with in reason. But I'm sure you'll see if its too big

Its good to stretch the jaw though because they get what's called pin head disease

Where did you get that info from? Have you ever seen one like this or even a picture of one like this?

As far as I know the pin head thing is a myth. 15-20% of their body weight is a good size no matter what species, morph (including albinism), etc.

Albinos have the same skin thickness as normal Darwins and you should treat them like any other young snake. They are not special or difficult in their husbandry. I find them very simple to keep and breed. When feeding my hatchlings, I often offer two smaller items at a feed before making the jump to a larger item. This is because I buy 100 mice of the same size at a time and like to use them up before buying bigger ones. This does not cause them to get pinheaded! You can feed the larger item when they are ready. If less than 20% of the snake's mass it will be just fine. Young snakes will grow to match their feeding rate. You are very safe with 10-20% on a weekly basis.

Ease up a little bit there Daryln, the person is just asking a simple question and they just want a simple answer:)

I tried feeding my coastal a fuzzy rat but she didn't take it as it was a little too big - they generally know if they can't fit their mouth around something. In the same regard - I fed my diamond a hopper rat that (as an overprotective parent...) I worried was too big, and she took it easily and wanted more! They can surprise you sometimes.

Albinos have the same skin thickness as normal Darwins and you should treat them like any other young snake. They are not special or difficult in their husbandry. I find them very simple to keep and breed. When feeding my hatchlings, I often offer two smaller items at a feed before making the jump to a larger item. This is because I buy 100 mice of the same size at a time and like to use them up before buying bigger ones. This does not cause them to get pinheaded! You can feed the larger item when they are ready. If less than 20% of the snake's mass it will be just fine. Young snakes will grow to match their feeding rate. You are very safe with 10-20% on a weekly basis.

Thanks Pythonmum!! :)

Hi all,

Ok I have heard that you should slowly upsize their food. Does anyone do that?

Or is that just another story?!

Im gonna backup Pythonmum here. Albinos are the same as any other snake other than the fact that they have a recessive gene "albinism". So if you are asking about Darwin carpet albinos then a good way of determining size is either 20-25% of their weight or the size of the fattest part of their body. Hope it helps!
Cheers, TM

Hi Darlyn,

Actually I can read. I read your post and the bit where you wrote "Or is that just another story?!" made me think that you thought slowly upsizing was a myth. Hence my answer. Sorry if you thought I was having a crack at you, sometimes I'm a bit blunt. Pythonmum has given you some excellent advice which you should take on board. Good luck with your Albino, they are awesome critters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back