Help!!! SAHD eggs sliting but not hatching?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trench

Reaction score
I am very frustrated at the moment, my first clutch of SAHD eggs got killed by the heat, I then made up a cold incubator, the second clutch only two of 4 hatched but all 4 slit, and the 3rd all but 1 of the eggs slit and non of them came out of the eggs.
One of the things I had noticed on the second clutch was that the substrate was a very dry on the top so with the 3rd clutch I tryed to keep the substrate moist when it came time to hatch as I thought that maybe the dry substrate was drying them out too quickly, but that does not seem to have changed any thing.
I have been incubating them in coir peat at temps between 19 and 31C (31 only on the very rare occasion).
for the forth clutch I have changed substrate to sphagnum moss as in Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards by mike swan it says that fully formed but dead in the eggs were found to happen with long nosed dragons and some other species of gecko and that this could be prevented by using a courser substrate as it touched less surface area of the egg.
I am all out of ideas on what to do, any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Trench

- - - Updated - - -

Bump

I use coarse grade vermiculite for angle headed eggs and inc. them at around 27 as they are rainforest dragons and it's cool in the forest.

Never had probs with them

It does pay to collect the eggs as they are being laid (if possible)

Cheers
Sandee :)
Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Adding to much water to the incubating substrate in the last 2 weeks can kill the hatchlings by drowning them, as they are trying to release water as well.
It's a very touchie thing to do, as it doesn't take much water to be too much.
All the best for your next clutch
Cheers Deano :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back