Rockwall Build - the toxic smell post build

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris

A question for those of you that have built a rockwall... how long did it take for the smell of paint/render/sealer to disappear after you'd finished?

Mine has been done for 3 or 4 days now but I don't want to introduce the monitors as there is still a smell in the enclosure, particularly when the basking lamps are on. The smell isn't really strong but it is easily noticeable, I imagine this would be hazardous to them?

Leave the backing lamps on for a few hours, then open doors for a few days to let the smell air out. And if you have made it water proof I would suggest giving it a bit of a clean with fresh water to remove any residue left behind.

cheers Dave

i leave mine out side for a while... in fact there are a bunch out there now i made last summer!

I let mine run for a week and opened it up to air it every day.

If you can get it out in the sunshine then do it and leave the doors open
Doing this seems to speed the process up

thanks all, I only used water based products in there, I was just wondering if it was still harmful to reptiles.

If there's a smell I'd still air it a while longer - while running it

i air mine for at least 2 weeks and when I'm in the garage i have a pedestal fans directly on it, does the bottles say toxic chris? i have always wondered the same thing but never come to a conclusion... :) the best best is to wait it out, even though as soon as a background is finished all you want to do is let the reps lose on it :D

I've put it out on the pool deck in the sun, also got the lamps running too, must be like a furnace in there :) The smell isn't too strong, just smells a bit like paint does after it's been applied, just not as strong. Being all water based products I didn't know if they were still deemed 'toxic', there's nothing on the tins/tubs that refer to this. I just bought 2 juvenile Lacies... looking forward to getting them in there... without killing them ;)

lol i thought it was for tristis? change of mind or did you make another one? well I'm jealous chris haha :)

lol i thought it was for tristis? change of mind or did you make another one? well I'm jealous chris haha :)

Luke I built it with some of my Tristis in mind but I sold a couple of 'excess' female Tristis & bought a couple of juvenile Lacies instead, I'm hoping that 1 of them turns out to be male so I can put him with my adult female.

Wish you hadn't deleted your original thread Chris!! I was using it as a guide.....

Question regarding the sealer - did you water it down at all, or paint it on neat? I've seen in other threads that some people spray it on, but I don't think i'll be able to do that...

Wish you hadn't deleted your original thread Chris!! I was using it as a guide.....

Question regarding the sealer - did you water it down at all, or paint it on neat? I've seen in other threads that some people spray it on, but I don't think i'll be able to do that...

PM sent.

May I also get that guide if you still have it available? Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back