Argh dam computer

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blakewilson

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Hey guys i have a problem with my computer. I have wireless internet at home through bigpond. My computer can connect to the router and say its connected, but wont be able to communicate with the modem. my modem works fine for every single other device in our household inc. my ps3 which has no ethernet cable connected? Its very confusing and cant figure it out. Here is a list

1. Restart
2. Windows upgrade doesn't work
3. Disable and reenable wifi card
4. Checked the password
5. Ccleanner scans inc. normal scan, registry scan, and looked through startup only disabling and rechecking any of these
6. AVG 2012 internet security scans
7. Tried ie
8. Tried google chrome
9. Tried steam
9. Did a ipconfig in cmd tried connecting to my routers ip address in ie and google chrome...and explorer. E X E No go...
10. Running no firewall
11. Retrying all of above with no firewall
12. All other devices can contact and load up the modem in ie and other web browsers
13. Looked at all my wifi settings and they are all ok
14. Retried list again
15. Troubleshoot problems upon right click in the wifi meters icon in the system tray
16. Im out of ideas

Would try a reformat but don't have an external hdd to transfer stuff to

This has been going on for 3 days specs are

Modem is a technicolor TG587n v3

Asus K53S, windows home premium , 8gb ram and everything else is standard

Last edited:
Im bored with the computer i think i bought my new best friend earlier today... I BEHOLD

habemupa.jpg

Really wish I could help you mate but I think the best thing I can do is Air Mail you another bottle of Jack (good chioce by the way). I am not slightly aggressive but I have always said If I won the lottery I would love to take a baseball bat to mine.

Hope you get it sorted

Endeavour

Have you tried switching it off and on again?

Have you tried a wired connection? Every now and then WiFi just spits the dummy... Personally, wired is better anyway!!!

BTW, you shouldn't be drinking and driving - is that Elmo you've hit in the background - he looks like he needs help....

lol at ^^ it crowd is awesome!!!!

maybe try changing your router settings like your nat settings

I know very little about computers, but here's a few thoughts:

Did you get hit with something (virus/spyware/malware, etc.) recently that could be causing these issues ? Remember that just because one AV suite scans clean doesn't mean you aren't infected (Clever virii can disable AV, but make it appear as if it is still working fine).

If you do think there's a chance you're infected, download the free version of anti-malware and run a full scan. If still no good, get Combofix and run that. After this, you are probably not infected, at least not anymore, anyhow.

I'd then be looking at IP settings. Do you have a valid IP address ? Check these settings are server-assigned and correct. Probably the easiest way for you to do this would be to match these settings against a working device (IP address will be different, but DNS, etc. should be the same). Get these settings by doing an ipconfig /all and then checking under Wireless LAN Adapter Wireless Network Connection. If all this checks out OK then you should be able to ping the IP address of one of your other device's (including the router), and yes, your internet should be working.

Hey guys i have a problem with my computer. I have wireless internet at home through bigpond. My computer can connect to the router and say its connected, but wont be able to communicate with the modem. my modem works fine for every single other device in our household inc. my ps3 which has no ethernet cable connected? Its very confusing and cant figure it out. Here is a list

1. Restart
2. Windows upgrade doesn't work
3. Disable and reenable wifi card
4. Checked the password
5. Ccleanner scans inc. normal scan, registry scan, and looked through startup only disabling and rechecking any of these
6. AVG 2012 internet security scans
7. Tried ie
8. Tried google chrome
9. Tried steam
9. Did a ipconfig in cmd tried connecting to my routers ip address in ie and google chrome...and explorer. E X E No go...
10. Running no firewall
11. Retrying all of above with no firewall
12. All other devices can contact and load up the modem in ie and other web browsers
13. Looked at all my wifi settings and they are all ok
14. Retried list again
15. Troubleshoot problems upon right click in the wifi meters icon in the system tray
16. Im out of ideas

Would try a reformat but don't have an external hdd to transfer stuff to

This has been going on for 3 days specs are

Modem is a technicolor TG587n v3

Asus K53S, windows home premium , 8gb ram and everything else is standard

sounds like you need an iMac

Personally think the wireless router on your computer is the issue unfortunately....

If you have never had that modem connected to the computer before you will probably need to plug the Ethernet cable in and then configure the wireless for the PC

So, just checking, you have a router and a modem? And the router shares whatever traffic the modem receives which the other devices can pick up but your pc can't?

1.) Have you restarted the modem & router by leaving the power out for at least a minute?
2.) have you got any static IPs set on any of your devices? As in on your computer (hint)
3.) Have you run a hardware check on your wireless card?
4.) what have you installed recently?

Oh, and do yourself a favor and get a single wireless router/adsl modem in one. Less things to go wrong.

EDIT: Has it worked in the past and are you trying to achieve a home network with content sharing?

Last edited:
So, just checking, you have a router and a modem? And the router shares whatever traffic the modem receives which the other devices can pick up but your pc can't?

1.) Have you restarted the modem & router by leaving the power out for at least a minute?
2.) have you got any static IPs set on any of your devices? As in on your computer (hint)
3.) Have you run a hardware check on your wireless card?
4.) what have you installed recently?

Oh, and do yourself a favor and get a single wireless router/adsl modem in one. Less things to go wrong.

EDIT: Has it worked in the past and are you trying to achieve a home network with content sharing?

It's the combined router/modem sniper..I think you'll find its the standard Telstra supplied one

It's the combined router/modem sniper..I think you'll find its the standard Telstra supplied one

That as an adsl combo though, OP says he is on Bigpond wireless. USB dongle, perhaps (that router supports these) ?

I hate those......

if that's the case, I would suspect either
a) Your Modem has released and provided your pc with a new IP address but your pc is holding onto an old address (cmd->type ip config /release then restart and connect again)
b) Your pc has a static ip assigned outside or the range of the modems set.
C) The gateway has content sharing turned off (It happens, Telstra)

That as an adsl combo though, OP says he is on Bigpond wireless. USB dongle, perhaps (that router supports these) ?

We now sound like "Geeks R Us" ROFL.
a6eqabyv.jpg

Terminology is always an issue when dealing with things like this. Non techie people call it a router ; modem; wireless thingy; Internet do-dad ; you name it ive heard it all :)

Last edited:
Seriously - it's been said three times - have you tried a wired connection to your modem? I've found from time to time that's all that is needed to get the wireless back again.... I'm currently wired with wireless active for the PS3 and the iPads etc. But the computer is wired to the router/modem.

I tried all above options, apart from the hammer idea lol. Ended up playing some offline games on my pc to take a break. Anyway got back to it with no success held the power button and turned it off and threw it onto the sofa. It then bounced off and fell on the tiles, i ran over expecting the worst but it started up fine thank god.

The most interesting thing is now the Internet seems fine and I'm getting 18mbs download speeds. Moral of the story you have to be cruel to be kind... It sort of annoys me though that i didn't actually fix it and I'm half expecting it to come back, but I'm so glad it is fixed now.

Thank you all for your outstanding array of ideas and support :)

Blake.

Huh, so effectively hitting it with a metaphorical hammer worked. I might try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back