I need help on attracting snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

REPTILEBOY13

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys it annoys me alot i used to see a lot of snakes at my house mostly tree snakes with the occasional RBB and eastern brown. But for the past 2 years nothing what can i do to attract these beautiful animals to my house again. Oh and i live in the gold coast area. Any help would be great.

cheers Beau

First any reasons why you think the change could have been? was any renovations, bush clearing etc done in the area or anything you can think of that would change the habitat?

No we havnt done anything except the renos we did 8 years ago thats it we got chickens and lately the number of rats has gone up.

- - - Updated - - -

Bump

Maybe you're neighbours were not as excited as you are on sharing their property with snakes :\

Just take on a house guest that doesn't like snakes - that will have them coming in no time as snakes have a wicked sense of humour.

Just take on a house guest that doesn't like snakes - that will have them coming in no time as snakes have a wicked sense of humour.

Not a bad suggestion actually, my girlfriend is scared of spiders and she finds them everywhere, perhaps someone else might notice the ones you aren't actually seeing :lol:

Logic says that if you have done nothing to alter the environment of your property, yet there has been a highly significant decline in snakes occurring there, then it has to do with either a significant decline in local snake populations or the creation of a barrier outside your property. As the latter hasn’t happened, the local populations must have declined for some reason.

Without seeing the area it is impossible to assess what has changed in the environment. You have indicated that their has been no significant physical disturbance so one can only assume that it is a biological factor(s). Introduction of predators to the area are a likely culprit. Cats being allowed to roam and kittens being dumped to go feral are a distinct possibility. Foxes are often found in association with human habitation. If anyone has been baiting for rats, that can take its toll. Basically, by the sounds of it I don’t like your chances of attracting the snakes back, as I don’t think they are there to attract.

Still, if you want to try, set up the frog pond as indicated. Add an aviary or chook yard. Let the grass grow long. Ensure there are plenty of potential refuges, like stacks of six or more sheets of corrugated iron etc.

Blue

Live next to a egg and poultry farm, it always works a treat :D

But in seriousness, the rats and coastals venture from there to our house. Always the odd one passing through, doens't seem to be as many vens around during summer? Seen plenty out and about during the cooler months.

Native bird feeders are also a good option, snakes come, and you get to see some nice birdies :p

Hey guys it annoys me alot i used to see a lot of snakes at my house mostly tree snakes with the occasional RBB and eastern brown. But for the past 2 years nothing what can i do to attract these beautiful animals to my house again. Oh and i live in the gold coast area. Any help would be great.
cheers Beau

If they are tree snakes mostly you probably need to supply a food source
Small birds frogs lizards and fish are their preferred food
Birds are easy to encourage... just feed them
frogs and lizards will come if they have hidey holes
rockery with pond would be ideal
fish need water

Get rid of any cats

We feed tons of ducks pigeons lorikeetsand our chickens the odd goose and waterfowl, no cats thank god and im trying to get my pop to let me put a pond in.

just install 1 of these. you will have plenty in not time
Long_Tube_Garden_Solar_Snake_Repeller.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back