Can marbled geckos get impactions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecko

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering can marbled geckos get impactions?

Yes they can, what substrate are you using?
I own three and use kritters crumble, it's safe for the geckos if ingested. I never had a problem with impaction.

Yes they can, what substrate are you using?
I own three and use kritters crumble, it's safe for the geckos if ingested. I never had a problem with impaction.
Yeah my geckos just died this morning, I'm not sure if impactions.
I used white washed sand on half of the tank and the other coco fibre, can show you a picture of them and maybe you can tell me if they got impacted.

if you have had them for a while and kept them on the same substrate and more than one died on the same day i would be looking at another reason other than impaction

Did you feed live food in the enclosure? @ bk201 just because it didn't happen before doesn't mean it could not have happend any time.

Yes small crickets. Does it matter if there was dead ones laying in there for a couple days?

- - - Updated - - -

I had them on the substrate with the coca fibre for a 1 week and a half before they died.

how many died? if multiple deaths i would question husbandry or the last few feed items may have been suspect

2 died. I will taking photos tomorrow morning to show so things I questioning.

2 died. I will taking photos tomorrow morning to show so things I questioning.
Leaving crickets in the enclosure with your lizards can and will stress them out. If they haven't finish the crickets in a hour is take them out. IMO a couple of dead crickets in a enclosure won't kill a reptile, although it doesn't help. Did they seem healthy to you before they died? Did they give you any signs? Where they defecating? How much heat were you giveing them?

Pet store people said it's good to keep a couple crickets running around in there for a 24/7 food supplie, the night before they died they were very active. They got a daily tank mist, have a look at the photos on the other thread i made.

Pet store people said it's good to keep a couple crickets running around in there for a 24/7 food supplie, the night before they died they were very active. They got a daily tank mist, have a look at the photos on the other thread i made.
It's well known that pet store people don't know what they are talking about most the time. The crickets walk on and bite reptiles. It is not I repeat it is NOT good to leeve crickets in with your lizards for a extended period of time. If they were eating and pooping then I don't think it was an impaction problem. Is there anything else out of the normal you can tell us? How often do you clean out there enclosures?

It's well known that pet store people don't know what they are talking about most the time. The crickets walk on and bite reptiles. It is not I repeat it is NOT good to leeve crickets in with your lizards for a extended period of time. If they were eating and pooping then I don't think it was an impaction problem. Is there anything else out of the normal you can tell us? How often do you clean out there enclosures?
Ok thanks for that advice, I spot cleaned but I only had them for around 3 weeks so I hadnt cleaned out the whole tank. Check out my new thread for pictures.

Most likely the sand caused an impaction, or the crickets you feed them were to big and caused an impaction. Was there any new poo in the tank?. Were they active before they died? Did you see any strange behaviour?, but then again it might have not been an impaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back