Water for snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe87

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I just thought of this while cleaning my fish tank. I'm about to get my first snake so I'm getting everything organized. Do I need to use water conditioner for the snakes fresh water in its bowl?

you do not need to use water conditioner for their water bowl regular tap water is fine
may i ask what type of snake you are getting? also i would recommend using cardboard or foams sheets around the tank to keep the heat in better as glass doesnt really hold heat in

I'm getting a Murray Darling. I was cleaning the fish tank that my red devil lives in so that's what made to think of conditioning the water. The snake will be going in his own click clack and then a wooden cage I have built when he is bigger.

niice murray darlings are cooly cool soo are cichlids lol
be sure to post up piccies when you get him

Normal tap water is fine. I once knew a guy who gave his snakes Evian to drink, but thinking about it Evian is naive backwards, some might say how ironic:).

Kindest regards

Endeavour

I use conditioned tap water purely because that's what I've always used for my frogs and assumed all reptiles to be the same! Apparently not.

Hi Sarah,

I can appreciate where you are coming from. Water authorities have definitely gotten better at their job and don’t use as much chlorine and chloroamines these days. I have always been a bit iffy about adding water conditioner unless absolutely necessary. I have several aquaria and I might end up doing a 90% water change if the fish poo is heavy enough. Yet I don’t both with a water ager. I have plenty of plants in the aquarium and any organic matter, especially small particulate stuff, quickly absorbs and uses the chlorine chemicals.

Although I am not doing so this year, for the past five years plus I have raised about a thousand tadpoles from my backyard, to the metamorph stage each a year, for release in a local artificial lake. I do about a 30% to 50% water change per week, straight out of the hose. The uneaten food and taddy poop gets rid of any chlorine chemicals ASAP.

If you want to rid water of all chlorine based chemicals before using it, there are a number of ways of doing. You can filter it through green grass, allow it to sit in a recycling crate in sunshine for a day, aerate it with an airstone for a day or just let it sit inside in a bucket for 3 days.

When it comes to drinking chlorinated water, as others have stated, it is no more drama for reptiles that it is for us. The important thing to know about snakes and drinking is that they will not drink water that has stood for more than a day, so regular changes of water are appropriate.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back