class 2 monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

cupcake
Reaction score
For ages i was under the impression that to keep a class 2 monitor, i would need 2 years experience with a class 1 monitor that in not really interested in,...so since i believe in providing forever homes that wasnt an option.

however, last night i was reading the licensing rules and all it said was this,....

The Class 2 licence is only available to people who are over the age of 18 years who have had at least two years' experience in caring for Class 1 reptiles. Some of the species that can be kept under a class 2 licence include:

its not saying i need to have kept something in the monitor group, just that i need class 1 animal experieince. (which i have plenty of)

Does that mean i can or cant have a mangrove monitor without getting an ackie first?

Basically, yes. I asked this question directly to the OEH and their answer was that once you have the particular class of licence, you can own anything on that class. The only time they will consider your previous experience is during your application when you write down the particular animals you intend on keeping. So, for example, if you apply for class 2 and write down V.indicus, they will probably reject you but if you have owned pythons for years and say you want a GTP or an RSP, you will likely be approved.
I personally think the rules are there for a reason though and it would be good to at least have a go at keeping something from class 1 for a while. You can always sell them once you're ready to move up. I did that with tristis and Ackies before I got my Lacey (even though most would agree that those species teach you precisely nothing about Lacies). It's obviously your call in the end though.

Last edited:
Basically, yes. I asked this question directly to the OEH and their answer was that once you have the particular class of licence, you can own anything on that class.

ok,...that got me thinking,..., since frillies are on a class 2 license, could i upgrade my license to class 2 by getting frilllies, (or even a class 2 python)
and then i could get my mangrove monitor without teh hassle of getting ackies?
id rather get a GTP or frillies than ackies if that will work,.....

(yeah, cant see ackies teaching you much about large monitors,...theyre not exactly dangerous, and the ackies ive met seem happy to be handled,....)

ok,...that got me thinking,..., since frillies are on a class 2 license, could i upgrade my license to class 2 by getting frilllies, (or even a class 2 python)
and then i could get my mangrove monitor without teh hassle of getting ackies?

You don't actually have to own any other animals from class 2. The actual application asks you why you are upgrading so you just can't apply for an upgrade saying that you intend on getting something you have no experience with. Once your class 2 is approved though you can get your indicus without ever owning any other class 2 animals. I hope that makes sense...

ahhhh, way to get around the rules,......i PRETEND i want frillies,...but never get around to it!!!! :)

and then i really dont need ackie experience?

Thanks Sax, sounds like the plan!!!!!

Haha yeah no Ackie experience necessary. It's kinda dodgy but I think it's a loophole that's just too hard for them to police so they just don't bother

woohoo, im happy with dodgy!! :p
Thanks again!!

My fiancé just got his class 2 license. He wanted it for a number of animals but just put down frillies and GTP. From the day they had it it took 2 weeks. Once your approved they call to tell you the out come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back