Can't decide what python to buy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow

Reaction score
I really love the look of jungles But I hear there not the nicest of pythons ive heard MD pythons and MD crosses are good first snakes and also stimsons pythons are good first snakes i think there all beautiful pythons so I can't decide which one to get. If anyone would like to help me out with personal experiences with either of these snakes or have another python they think would be a better first snake please do tell your experiences. I'm wanting to get a hatchling so that it can grow used to me. I'm going to get one in the next few months once I have moved I'm moving to Sydney, I'm hoping there are lots of breeders down that way. Another question is it ideal to keep a hatchling in a small click clak type setup or would it be ok to have it in a larger enclosure with more hides and decorations so it seems smaller? Im not to fussed on how much money it will cost. I want to have the best setup possible for the little fellow. Thanks:)

get a woma !!!!! they are they are medium sized snakes they vary in colours,patterns ect and they have so much character and they are pretty easy to keep !
and you can get some snappy jungles but i have 2 and they are the friendlyest snakes in my collection.

click clacks the way to go with hatchy pythons just my poinion though :)
murray darlings are awesome first snake so are womas, stimsons depends on your preference really and with hatchy jungles the bite doesnt really hurt with time and patience they can become quite tolerable to handling it just takes time and patience also it depends on what sized snake your comfortable with hope this helps :)

Most hatchys will be a little bit defensive, in saying that I started with a Jungle hatchy, yes she was defensive but she is pretty good now. Also has the most "personality" out of my snakes, if you would call it that.

I reckon choose what you like the most, plus jungles are pretty :D

Most jungles will calm down with regular handling however there are quite a few which do not. But they're very pretty.
Womas are great. Medium size, won't go off food, easy to care for, handle well and I think they look cool.
Stimsons are great. They're small, good handlers etc etc.
I think MD's make a great first snake. They're good handlers, good feeders generally, and although they're fairly big they are quite manageable. They also have the bonus of good looks. I wanted a snake with a no of size so I went with a MD but if you want something smaller a woma or smaller still, a stimmie.

In saying this, I don't think there is one best first snake breed within reason at least. Most hatchies are snappy and most grow out of it whether an olive or children's. just all about the individual animal really. Sometimes you get one with a dud temperament and it's just life but never IMO do you get a dud looking snake. So that usually makes up for it. Haha.

Your choice though. Whatever takes your fancy, and what you can accommodate and manage.

Have you considered a diamond? You can get absolutely stunning high yellow specimens, through to gorgeous black and whites, so a bit of variation there, also, in my experience (my first snake was a diamond, Gosford locale, gorgeous high yellow with white rosettes) they show reluctance to bite, are easy to feed and don't get too big.... Just another option...

I think most people will suggest what snake they personally like best so it makes it a little hard. My advice is go to a breeder with afew species of snakes and handle a few types and find the one you feel comfortable with and like the look of. Try and view the parents too and ask if you can handle them too as that will give you a better idea of what you're in for. Goodluck!

The way I pick my snakes I have in my collection is just look at every forsale ad. Every now and then I get a weird vibe about a snake and I just know for some reason it will be mine haha. The last snake I had this feeling for was Roger Lesters little jungle female ill add some pics to show you what I first saw in her and what she is now.

The pictures go in order from the forsale ad I saw ( first shed ) then her second shed and her 3rd shed.

Attachments

• 395229_196509473789961_100002927287871_342856_719561766_n.jpg
    395229_196509473789961_100002927287871_342856_719561766_n.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 51
  • IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 56
I think most people will suggest what snake they personally like best so it makes it a little hard. My advice is go to a breeder with afew species of snakes and handle a few types and find the one you feel comfortable with and like the look of. Try and view the parents too and ask if you can handle them too as that will give you a better idea of what you're in for. Goodluck!

Any good breeder will not let you handle or even see their snakes! Have you never heard of quarantine and exclusion.
There is no need to "Play" with any snake before buying. Pics of the parents is all you should expect.
We never let anyone handle any snake they are looking at buying.

To the OP, do your home work on all the snakes that YOU like the look of and then make your choice based on what YOU
like in the way of a snake. You get far too many differing opinions asking such a question on a forum, Each snake WILL be different
to the next even within the same breed!

Last edited:
Any good breeder will not let you handle or even see their snakes! Have you never heard of quarantine and exclusion.
There is no need to "Play" with any snake before buying. Pics of the parents is all you should expect.
We never let anyone handle any snake they are looking at buying.

To the OP, do your home work on all the snakes that YOU like the look of and then make your choice based on what YOU
like in the way of a snake. You get far too many differing opinions asking such a question on a forum, Each snake WILL be different
to the next even within the same breed!
+1
Python Recipe:
1. Find something that looks appealing to you
2. Research care for species
3. Research care for species :)P)
4. Buy as hatchling
5. Enjoy

We can argue all day as to which is better for a beginner. Only ones i would stay away from as a complete beginner would be Scrubbies(size issue although you might not care) and GTPs (much more involved housing/environment).

Any of the readily available aussie pythons would be great. With consistent handling and proper care, you will most likely end up with a great python.

When I first started wanting a snake as a pet, I wanted a scrubby. After about 5mins of research I decided that they weren't the best first snake for anyone let alone a 12year old. So I started looking at my second choice a black head python. 7 years later I finally got my first snake, a woma.

The point is look at the the snakes you like the look of, then find out what the care requirements, temperaments, size, etc are. Everyone has a different idea on what snake is the best for a beginner. You are the one that has to live with it so take your time and you will eventually find the perfect one.

There is no need to be rude. Yes I have heard of quarantine and do know that some breeders prefer to keep collections private but know a lot of breeders who don't so does not hurt to ask. It also doesn't hurt to wash yourself after handling their snakes if you have your own at home. Children carry fatal disease but you don't quarentine them? Anyway, goodluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back