$18 for one medium Rat at a pet shop

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IceWhiteFreak

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My rodent supplier has retired from the rat business and I went to a Sydney pet shop to pick up some rats. Noticed medium frozen rats going for $18 EACH. Looks like il be getting back into the rat breeding game. It should be a criminal offence in NSW to sell a frozen medium rat at a price higher the $6

My local pet produce place (outer NW burbs of Melb) sell them for $14, truly awful price, but obviously if your stuck, you have to pay. Lots of places sell cheaper though if you drive (which I rarely do)

i suggest you look into breeding your own rather then paying that price... so expensive

My rodent supplier has retired from the rat business and I went to a Sydney pet shop to pick up some rats. Noticed medium frozen rats going for $18 EACH. Looks like il be getting back into the rat breeding game. It should be a criminal offence in NSW to sell a frozen medium rat at a price higher the $6

You should be so lucky!!! Only because for that size rat here is $21 at the cheapest pet shop while the other ones sell them for $26.70ea RIP OFF!!!

Last edited:
We sell jumbos for less than that but people have told me Jumbos are going for $28 at some shops.
You don't wanna know what they sell jumbo's for!!!! I just breed my own, not to mention I weighed mine compared the pet shops ones, and mine were twice the size for the same age...

Well in tassie i have seen a frozen mouse for sale for $22 dollars, insane

Years ago I got them from some where they were filthy with a few mites in the bag, i kid you not. at least these days most are clean. Cheers for the replys i was pm'd a couple of suppliers details and il start breeding my own shortly aswell

Last edited:
Definitely go with DOA, even with the postage cost it works out faaar cheaper than any pet shop, and i've always had them arrive very well packed and still frozen upon arriving to Canberra from Sydney.

Yeah I agree Doarodents is legit. Got my rats today and happy with the sale. I never buy from a pet shops but today I just checked it out 90% sure I was going to walk out anyway, pet shops are expensive and full of surprises as everyone knows.

I sell frozen mice to a shop at times their mark up is over 400% of what I charge them. And they still try and get me to give them a better price lol

WHAAAAT? $26+ for a rat? What is going on. I think i bought 4 or 5 small adult rats for ~$20 from City Farmers!!

For $26 + gumtree + crap layin around at home i could probably start a small lil rat colony!

Last edited by a moderator:
So @ 160grms they would be only around $112/kilo...........................Bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back