Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bart70

Reaction score
Hi,

After being a lurker for some time I thought it was about time I registered and formally became part of the forum.

We live in Port Macquarie, and have developed a love of pythons since a neighbor (some years ago when we lived down south) acquired a diamond python. Our (then) four year old who loves anything reptile took a liking and they both grew very fond of each other - he spent many hours handling this python without fear and showed much interest and affection. We always said we would get a python when the time was right.

A few years have passed, our 4 year old is now 10 and has a younger sister who also loves snakes. We have spent the last few years casually researching, and recently purchased an enclosure from a local enthusiast who was upgrading.

We have taken opportunities to view and handle snakes where possible (fell in love with a beautifully placid coastal hatchy in Canberra recently) - we are now getting closer to making the decision to bring a python into the family.

We are about to apply for our NSW license, and will be looking into completing the final setup on our enclosure and test running it empty so we know all will be well when we find the "one" that will be for us. We were originally thinking a Murray Darling, then swayed towards Coastals, but also have a bit of a thing for the color/pattern on the Bredli. After we have some experience and down the track a bit we would love to look into an Albino Darwin.....but one step at a time for now. Out of the 3 carpet breeds above, I am certain we will not be disappointed as a first snake.

So that is a little bit about us.....we are looking forward to an enjoyable journey into the reptile world.

Cheers,
Bart.

Hi Bart, welcome to APS :) you can't go wrong with any of the abovementioned pythons. I'm in Kempsey and you may/may not know but the nearest herp vet is in Camden Haven, Gavin is terrific should you ever need him :)

hello and welcome good to see a another from port mac :)
coastals, mds, and albino darwins are great snakes soo hard to choose lol

welcome to the family......... gotta get yaself a hot coastal hatchie.......

Welcome to the dark side! I started with a coastal, out of all my pythons though I found my Woma's would make the best starting snake, just thought I would confuse you more lol.

Hi Bart welcome to the forum. If your in Port its worth checking out the local North Coast Herp Group meetings on the first friday of every month. They start at 7pm at the Lions Club Hall on Hastings River Drive. Plenty of competitions running this year and hopefully some great guest speakers coming up plus other activities throughout the year.
Thanks Mark.

Hey and welcome,

My first python was a coastal and he's amazing. The most gentle lovely python I've ever seen and never even striked at me in all his 7 years. I was also 10 when i first got him for my birthday. best present i will ever get. Always makes me happy to see more people getting into these beautiful underrated animals.

Good luck with your search I hope you find the python your looking for. :)

I'm near port too, Gavin is awesome and definitely the vet number you want to have on hand. You never know when you might need it. :)

Welcome! I agree, once you see someones snake, you want one for yourself haha :)

Enjoy the site :D

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I was aware there was a reptile vet in the area, but was not sure which one it was so the info provided has been helpful. I have not joined the local club but am considering doing so. I also have a mate who has a passion for reptiles (none in possession, but loves looking for them in the bush) so I am trying to convince him to come along with me.

My focus now is to set up my enclosure and test run it so that I am ready to move if the right python comes along. I do not want to fall into the trap of falling in love with a beautiful animal and then rush to set up its home. My aim is to have it set up in the coming few weeks so that I can then begin my search for the right animal.

In the meantime you will likely see me pop in looking for advice and asking questions in the near future ( have a couple of questions in waiting already). I am interested in meeting fellow herpers and where allowed, view their animals and get to know as much as I can about these wonderful creatures.

Thanks again - Looking forward to joining and learning more from the discussions in the group.

Bart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back