Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa14

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have this friend and her boyfriend has three snakes, a corn snake, a stimsons python and a diamond python.
so firstly one if illegal, should I report this?

And secondly he takes horrible careof them... They are kept in enclosures way to small for them and aren't taken out for movement. Often they go a few weeks without eating and are very undersized, this is probably also due to enclosure size. Whatwould you do in this situation?

Ive also talked to my friend and told her good size enclosures for each snake and recommended she tell her boyfriend to get larger one and also suggested more frequent feeding.

If it were puppies or kittens living in bad conditions and not getting enough food or water, you'd call the rspca to help the poor creatures, so I think snakes should be afforded the same sympathy and help.

It's one of those hard decisions to make, reporting is the right thing to do but could lose you a friend. I guess it depends on how strongly you feel about exotics and animal cruelty.

The proper and correct thing to do would be to report him. However depending on the personality/temperament of the boy friend you could potentially put yourself in the firing line for abuse etc. If you can report him while maintaining the security of your identity perhaps it might be worth persueing. In the end you need to assess the potential threat to yourself and your collection from the boy friend. I know it sounds terrible but you never know how people will react.

If I were to report it it would all be anon? Wouldn't it?

We live close to the Australian reptile park so do you think I could suggest he hand it in there?

I have this friend and her boyfriend has three snakes, a corn snake, a stimsons python and a diamond python.
so firstly one if illegal, should I report this?

And secondly he takes horrible careof them... They are kept in enclosures way to small for them and aren't taken out for movement. Often they go a few weeks without eating and are very undersized, this is probably also due to enclosure size. Whatwould you do in this situation?

Ive also talked to my friend and told her good size enclosures for each snake and recommended she tell her boyfriend to get larger one and also suggested more frequent feeding.

What size are the enclosures? Why do you think it necessary to take them out for movement? A few weeks without food is not an issue as they are evolved for just this thing.What makes you think enclosure size would stop them growing?

If it were puppies or kittens living in bad conditions and not getting enough food or water, you'd call the rspca to help the poor creatures, so I think snakes should be afforded the same sympathy and help.

The proper and correct thing to do would be to report him. However depending on the personality/temperament of the boy friend you could potentially put yourself in the firing line for abuse etc. If you can report him while maintaining the security of your identity perhaps it might be worth persueing. In the end you need to assess the potential threat to yourself and your collection from the boy friend. I know it sounds terrible but you never know how people will react.
Thats what I fear, is that even if I do it anon, they will still know I had something to do with it cause I am so pushy about it.

Is it true that when being a reptile license holder you can get a random visit from the government to make sure all your reptiles are recorded?

Beat me to it Ramsayi. Most of my animals go weeks without eating. In the winter some go many months without a feed. And its pretty rare I "take them for a walk"

What size are the enclosures? Why do you think it necessary to take them out for movement? A few weeks without food is not an issue as they are evolved for just this thing.What makes you think enclosure size would stop them growing?

They have the 7 year old diamond python in a 3 foot enclosure and the stimsons and corn in 150mmx150mmx150mm. The stimsons is only a yearling and I believe it should be fed more then once every 3 weeks especially because the year,ing itself is smaller than my 3 month old children's python. I might just be over reacting tho,

They have the 7 year old diamond python in a 3 foot enclosure and the stimsons and corn in 150mmx150mmx150mm. The stimsons is only a yearling and I believe it should be fed more then once every 3 weeks especially because the year,ing itself is smaller than my 3 month old children's python. I might just be over reacting tho,

150mm cubes...........You sure about that ? 150mm = 6 inches

This is exactly what I was going to say...

In all honesty no matter who you report it to nothing is going to happen I am afraid, I have seen this threaad come up so many times on APS and always the same outcome. Lack of funds / time / resources being the main reasons. What you have done is correct in giving the GF advice to give to him, lets hope he takes it. Corn snakes are illegal but there are hundreds ( people even say thousands ) in NSW ( majority Sydney ).

150mm cubes...........You sure about that ? 150mm = 6 inches

Yeah I'm sure...

- - - Updated - - -

In all honesty no matter who you report it to nothing is going to happen I am afraid, I have seen this threaad come up so many times on APS and always the same outcome. Lack of funds / time / resources being the main reasons. What you have done is correct in giving the GF advice to give to him, lets hope he takes it. Corn snakes are illegal but there are hundreds ( people even say thousands ) in NSW ( majority Sydney ).

Even if I did report the corn snake? Would they at least be able to do something about that?

Even if I did report the corn snake? Would they at least be able to do something about that?

NPWS are heavily underfunded and simply do not have the resources to go out to every called in case of illegal activity whether it be licensed or un-licensed people. Give it ago and hopefully they may do something but I would say probably jack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I wouldn't bother reporting the corn however seeing as you mentioned they are being kept cruelly I would do something about it. It's really what got care more about, the friendship or the snakes welfare. If the snakes look healthy just underfed they may be ok and as long. As they're being fed, they will still grow however it will take longer for them to reach full size. If you are sure about the 15cm enclosures maybe try get him just to upgrade or build his own as it's very cheap. And same goes with the diamond. Otherwise if the enclosure is tall maybe screw some shelves on for added space. Best of luck and make the decision which you think will result in the best outcome.

6" cubes does not sound that small for a tiny snake like a stimmi..... and they all grow at different rates. I have a 2 year old stimmi that is smaller than 2 of my yearlings... I also have a yearling coastal that wont eat regularly and is roughly the same size as these same stimmi yearlings with a little bit of extra length. Coastal is in a 56L tub and will never come out of his little tiny hide that he JUST fits in. The stimmis are in desperate need of a house upgrade but they are still happy and feeding like troopers. I am about to stick my coastal back in a 10L tub so he stops freaking out....

Reporting people for anything to authorities is just bloody soft in my opinion... why can't people deal with their own concerns without involving the rest of the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back