Easy reptiles for breeding??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa14

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm sure you see a million and one of these threads, but I would just like to know what you all think the easiest reptile to breed would be and why?

Reason I'm asking is I wanna expand on my collection, I currently have:
A female bearded dragon 18 months
bluetounge 18 months - not sexed
2 bearded dragons (male and female i think) roughly 8 weeks
And a female children's python 3 months.

Im 17 So obviously not swimming in cash, so something cheaper is preferred? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers.,

Lisa :)

That's what I'm thinking.. Especially cause my mum isn't to keen on more than one snake in the house.. Hahaha

I would sex your beardies and if you have a pair it would be a good place to start and learn.

Last edited:
Only problem is the 2 little ones are from the same clutch. I've been told this is the best for breeding but can also be bad, opinions?

They are 8 weeks so doesn't matter anyway as they will not breed for ages, and no breeding between brother/sister/mum/dad is fine in the reptile world. I suggest Buying an older male beardie and maybe an adult spotted / children pair. If you are keen for gecko's any of the N.levis ( pilb, amyae, wheel etc ) are pretty dam easy.

maybe a thick tailed gecko or smooth knob tailed.
easy to care for dont need much room.
im pretty sure that thickies are good breeders.

IMO beardies are the easiest to breed. You jut need to get an adult male and viola - eggs in an instant!

*disclaimer - eggs will not appear simultaneously, waiting period required.

Dont forget the bottom line..WILL you be able to get rid off the hatchies-babies..Feed them and house them seperately until you find new homes..

I've bred beardies a few times and hey I was only 8-11yrs old at the time! (Don't worry, I had dad helping me....he was obsessed with the little 5cm newborns ;)) If you have a spare 4x2x2 tank that is the best way to raise around 8 or so hatchies :) Big 100litre+ tubs can hold new borns for a few months as well.

Beardies are great! I'm picking up another female for male next week :D

Never bred blueys but I would also have a crack at that :D After all you could breed blueys AND beardies :D

I recommend Marbled geckos (Christinus marmoratus). I got my two for $20 each. They were housed separately and as soon as I put them together they were at it!
Probably the easiest gecko there is :) Good luck!

I think I'll give the beardies and bluetongue a go. And As I get more experience I might proceed into geckos, was just looking at some gorgeous smooth knob tailed geckos, they look like a great herp to own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back