Soaking wood for beardie setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca.J

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have found some logs that I want to use in my beardies setup and have been reading a whole heap of different advice on what to do before you put it in the tank!

So I've taken loose bark off sort of sanded it with a scourer and had them sitting in my bath with sea salt and terrarium cleaner for the last two days..I have soaked then dried them out and now they are soaking again..I'll dry them again tonight/tomorrow

Just checking if you think this is enough cleaning to now use it in the tank??

Thanks!

Bec

Personally I just get them, make sure nothing nasty is on it and then drown it in F10 for about 2 minutes. Never had any trouble.

Awesome cool thanks heaps..thought I was being a bit over cautious but probably a good thing I guess!! :)
Do you think the terrarium cleaner and sea salt will do the trick..I don't have any F10..

If the terrarium cleaner is animal ( reptile ) safe, which I would assume it is, then yeah you're good to go.

Yeah it's just a urs brand terrarium cleaner that I usually use to clean out his tank and ornaments..
Thanks heaps for the help! :)

I usually just stick it in the oven at about 180f for 20 mins and its done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

personally i just find nice growing tree , preferably a smooth barked one , pick nice looking branch and cut it off , then remove any leaves and smaller branches , quick check for bugs (although ive never found any on a live tree with smooth bark) then into enclosure , thats it , no treating with chemicals ( reptile safe or otherwise) , soaking or putting them in ovens (potential fire hazard right there)

ive never had a problem doing this and know others who do the same with no issues , my dads old coastal lived to a healthy old age and he had untreated branches his whole life

from what ive been told you will not find snake mites in branches taken from the bush , it may have other mites but not snake mites , apparently snake mites are only a problem in our captive stock ( in australia that is ) and they havent yet made it into the wild population

Yep i bake in the oven too. however i did once let the back of the branch touch the flame at the back and burned it a bit.. was a nice branch before i had done that..

I have heard people debating that mites cannot survive off an animal and you dont really need to soak and cook but i always do to be safe..

Last edited:
I just soak branches to kill any ants that may be hiding inside.
I never use any chemicals and dont worry about mites as to the best of my knowledge reptile mites are found only in captive collections and have rarely been noted being on wild specimens let alone a stick.

i only soak dead wood that might have ants inside it, couple days under water then turn it over in and soak another couple days......if it dont have ants i just put it in the enclosure

I just boil the kettle, pour the hot water on the log and leave it over night. works for me and never had any problems :)

Put logs in Black garbage bag, tape it up, leave it in the sun for a few days. Anything that survives deserves to live !

Environmentally friendly, no chemicals, no fire risk, will take larger logs than an oven and the kids don't have to feel like shipwreck victims with logs floating in their bath :)

Depending on the size of the branch/how much f10 I've got/how much effort I can be bothered going to, I either pour a few kettle-fulls of boiling water over it, or spray it thoroughly (soaking right into all the gaps etc) with f10 solution. Hasn't been a problem so far :)

I brush them off and then I put them in a big, toughie bag and tie it up and let it sit in the sun (which is incredibly hot lately) for a few hours.

The methods used in this thread, does it make to much difference if its a fresh branch cut from a tree or a fallen dead branch??? It would be going into a snake enclosure tho not a beardie 1

Last edited:
i do nothing to fresh branches, straight in the enclosure, the same with dead wood unless it has ants inside. made the mistake of not soaking a dead log, put it in an enclosure and the next day had a line of ants coming out of the enclosure to my kitchen.

i do nothing to fresh branches, straight in the enclosure, the same with dead wood unless it has ants inside. made the mistake of not soaking a dead log, put it in an enclosure and the next day had a line of ants coming out of the enclosure to my kitchen.

Hahahaha ok this thread is for a beardie setup does it make any difference if the wood was going into a snake enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back