Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roma_tomato

Reaction score
So I was giving the dog a bath and noticed a large hole in the dirt. We have had quite a lot of Wolf spiders at the moment and the kids are a little worried about em so I put the hose down it to see if it would come out.... as you do!

After a while, these little white things came up and I wondered... what sort of spider is this?

Picked up the little white balls to see if they were spider eggs and they moved! Out popped these little fellas much to my surprise (see pics).

Anyway, I have previously look at keeping reptile, but due to retarded Tasmanian laws I put that on the back burner. But, I do have a small tank set up for lizards for when the kids decided they wanted to keep mountain dragons.

The question I have is will these little guys survive? What the hell will they eat at this small stage? Am I better off putting them in the garden and letting them figure it out for themselves? There are heaps of skinks round - several species, so they obviously like it here, I just feel a little guilty for wrecking their home.

DSC00340.jpgDSC00353.jpg

I don't know the species name but I just call them common garden skinks haha. Just put them back in your garden and they will figure themselves out.

Yeah they're best off back in your garden. Unless you're really committed to getting tiny food for them and feeding them daily they'll have a better shot in the wild.

Edit: They're Lampropholis delicata (incase you were wondering)

Last edited:
I might be wrong but cant you legally catch reptiles in Tassy?

I might be wrong but cant you legally catch reptiles in Tassy?

Indeed you can. My 10 year old can go out and catch the biggest tiger snake he can find and keep it! Don't get me started on Tasmanian Laws,

Back on topic.......... little fellas are sitting in the sun happily eating water melon with some other big skinks.

I think they will do ok.

: )

yes it is Lampropholis delicata they have been hatched a reared in captivity in Tasmania but is best back in the wild, you could always catch a whites skink or something that is a bit larger and easier to feed

and yes
style="width: 100%"
|-
| style="width: 50%" | Bassiana duperreyi
| width="50%" | Three-lined skink
|-
| width="50%" | Cyclodomorphus casuarinae
| width="50%" | She-oak skink
|-
| width="50%" | Egernia whitei
| width="50%" | Whites skink
|-
| width="50%" | Lampropholis delicata
| width="50%" | Delicate skink
|-
| width="50%" | Niveoscincus greeni
| width="50%" | Northern snow skink
|-
| width="50%" | N. metallicus
| width="50%" | Metallic skink*
|-
| width="50%" | N. microlepidotus
| width="50%" | Southern snow skink
|-
| width="50%" | N. ocellatus
| width="50%" | Spotted skink*
|-
| width="50%" | N. orocryptus
| width="50%" | Mountain skink
|-
| width="50%" | N. pretiosus
| width="50%" | Tasmanian tree skink
|-
| width="50%" | Pseudemoia entrecasteauxii
| width="50%" | Southern grass skink
|-
| width="50%" | Tiliqua nigrolutea
| width="50%" | Blotched blue-tongue
|-
| width="50%" | Tympanocryptis diemensis
| width="50%" | Mountain dragon
|-

style="width: 100%"
|-
| style="width: 50%" | Austrelaps superbus
| width="50%" | Copperhead snake
|-
| width="50%" | Drysdalia coronoides
| width="50%" | White-lipped snake
|-
| width="50%" | Notechis ater
| width="50%" | Tiger snake

|-
can be caught and kept in Tasmania on our free "herpetology permit " just a signature on a piece of paper then 6 adults of each species can be caught and kept (no selling of reptiles or amphibians allowed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back