Hesitant Wife

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeusy

Reaction score
I've been keen to get a snake for quite some time now but my wife has been very hesitant. I'm wondering how some of you went about convincing your other halves. I'd especially like to see some comments from people who were very hesitant about owning a snake, but once they did, they have never looked back.
I know it wont be an issue once we get past this hurdle but some positive comments will help her along. She needs to hear from someone other than myself. She is concerned for our children thanks to some moron's in Florida, USA who kept their burmese python in a tank/container covered with a quilt. It escaped and strangled and killed there 2 year old daughter.
I have 2 small children and plan on getting a jungle python. I would never even consider my children coming near it until i was very confident of it's temperament being good enough.

My girlfriend was abit hesitant aswell but she eventually gave in. One good point I made to her was I asked her how many dogs have killed children or mauled them and would she still be prepared to keep a dog as a pet ( nothing against you dog lovers , was just making a point ) and then I asked her how many times have you heard of a snake killing a child. She has no answer for that eventually caved.

I told my Mrs I was getting one and she laughed at me haha I then came home with it. You should have seen her face. I have found it best to ask forgiveness not permission but now that I'm up to seven snakes that doesn't work I'm purely and simply a dead man if I get any more.... It'll still be worth it when I do :-D

Hey bud,
My misses hated snakes they made her skin crawl. It took me about 6 mths of constant talking about it. A lot of research explaining there eating patterns and what they consider food. ( the frozen food helped as we don't feed live).
she came around in the end at least to let me buy one. From there I allowed her to name it on the grounds she handled him. And now she is absolutely fine with him ( could not care less) she has even approved the future vens and many more pythons etc.

My first snake was a jungle python I choose him in person handling each one until I found one that choose me and I choose him ( sound corny I know). I must say I bought him as a hatchy which I felt as a first snake was really important.

To sum up make sure you do the research and they are not the evil killing machine many believe.

Cheers Jacob

I wear the pants in my family..LOL...I already owned snakes before meeting my partner..so if she wanted me then the snakes are a part of my life..

they will be fine and will not harm your kids.
Snakes are very misunderstood creatures. They are more scared of you than you are of them thats for sure.

Hi Zeusy, I was the hesitant wife not so now, firstly my husband purchased a hatchy stimmie all of 30 cms long and not as thick as a pencil, make sure you never corner her so she feels trapped this is a big thing if you are not comfortable with snakes being in close proximity, next let her become comfortable with you handeling the hatchy and over time let her curiosity get the better of her DO NOT Push it it will only make the process a lot longer, let her touch the hatchies tail when she wants while you hold the bitie end even if it doesn't bite. Then let it move about alone where you are able to control where it goes and hopefully she will form her own conclusions that A they arn't slimy as most parents used to tell their kids and not all snakes are going to attack on sight . Then you should have clear sailing. I now own more snakes than my hubby. Jenny but it took a couple of years 6 months to be able to touch one from trying to climb through the wall.

I wear the pants in my family..LOL...I already owned snakes before meeting my partner..so if she wanted me then the snakes are a part of my life..

it was the same for my hubby when he met me i already had one so just did slow introductions and now hes well and truely hooked!!! (on me and the snakes lol)

Thanks so much all. I will show her these comments an hope it helps her decision. Cheers

Pretty much just like @jbest i asked my other half and she said no for about a month, than i just did it anyway brought a enclosure and a spotted home :) now i have 2 and am getting a 3rd, im the bossman!!

my missus told me never ever, not to mention she is Pisa scared of mice/rats.I made the compramise that the missis could have this gold bangle she had her eye on for a while....
Q
Then 6 weeks later she was trying to convince me to get a gtp. Haha.

Somretimes I wonder about my gurl.

My wifey hated snake now she just doesn't like them. So I keep mine in the garage. It's a way to get five minutes to yourself.

Well once you get one you HAVE to keep it on the permit for six months, your wife won't be able to argue :lol: And in that 6 months she'll probably get used to having a snake in the house. Ta-Da! You get to keep the snake :D

You got to show the Hen who the Rooster is :lol:
All jokes aside, my gf had the same fears until she came with me to pick up my yearling jungle and after seeing how beautiful he was(is), she caved in. Thats not to say she'd handle him or touch him but she understands that he's going to be in the enclosure and theres no way he's gonna get out!

Last edited:
...some moron's in Florida, USA who kept their burmese python in a tank/container covered with a quilt....
This is correct use of the word moron! Also the reports said they only feed it road kill! The way they kept it is the equivalent of driving a car with faulty brakes. If she is really worried get a snake that won't grow large.

... I have found it best to ask forgiveness not permission
LUXURY! Best I can hope for is grudging acceptance!

but now that I'm up to seven snakes that doesn't work I'm purely and simply a dead man if I get any more.... It'll still be worth it when I do :-D
I have had this conversation a few times and will shortly have it again.
Phone rings
Her: How many snakes have you got?
Me: X.
Her: I thought you had Y!
Me: No I have X.
Her: Last time I counted you had Y! When did you get the other Z?
Me: About three months ago.
Her: You didn't ask me!
Me: Of course not! If I asked permission you would just say no.
Her: We will talk about this when we get home!
Phone hangs up
Me: Better make that two bottles of tequila!

haha, i see the recommendation of "just come home with one" but i kinda did that one recently. Except, i came home with a $22,000 jetski. Lol, although, that was in May. Nah, i think regular gentle persuation is the go.

I wasnt allowed a snake for a very long time, but if you can show your wife that your very knowledgeable about snakes and that you have a passion for them im sure she will let you have one. My mum and dad finally gave in after that.

Best pets ever
*no need to take them for a walk every day
*feed once a week while young then once a fortnight and depending how big your snake is and what you feed it could be once a month
*poops as often as you feed it (no walking around the garden picking up tonnes of dog poop!)
*if it did bite you no big deal (not like a dog that would require you to get stitches and a shot.)
* no fur everywhere
*no pet smell
* contained in its enclosure (cant damage your house like dogs and cats with claws and digging up your yard)
*no yearly vaccinations
*foods Cheap
* all have different and interesting personalities
*so many pretty colours to choose from
*keeps you cool in summer and gives neck massage while absorbing your heat
* interesting to learn about
*good conversation topics

DO I NEED TO SAY MORE??

I bought a snake for my 3yo daughter just because it was something different and have never looked back she loves the lil guy she watches tv with him has him down her shirt with his head out. Because she is interested in reptiles now she knows so many different types she also knows to never touch a snake unless i say its ok. Ill add she has been bitten but she didnt even notice till she saw a tiny bit of blood than asked for a band-aid and continued holding the snake i was so proud of her when she was 2 my friends dog bit her in the face she had to have stitches and everything just missed her eye! I would choose a snake over a dog any day ill also add we have 2 border collies so im not a dog hater lol

SO CONCLUDING MY ESSAY LOL SNAKES RULE !! AND THEY ARE SILKY AND SMOOTH NOT SLIMEY :D

Cathy
e8uduqa9.jpg

a7aty5eq.jpg
apahupy8.jpg

I told him, it's a snake or a 3rd dog. He researched costs and caved. Makes me keep it away from him though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back