Can anyone tell if my diamond python is an intergrade ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IloveMYdiamond12

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've only had her for about 3 and a half months and she was sold to me as a diamond but ive had suspicions for a while that she has something else in her. I also found a picture in the diamond python gallery, it was labelled ( nice looking diamond intergrade ) so now i am fairly sure but im no expert.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 304
She is beautiful, however I do agree, she doesnt look full Diamond. Unsure on what she might be intergrated with, probably Coastal as that seems to be more popular than the others.
In saying this, Diamonds do have different patterns/colouration in different areas. Also there are many morphs coming out with many other snakes, maybe she is just a pure Diamond with selective patterning.

She is a really nice looking snake though, beautiful head and colouration/pattern.

Looking at those pics I would say intergrade. Some people call them Northern Diamonds. I base this on the fact that it has banding (like a Coastal) rather than clearly defined rosettes that is typical of the classic Diamond pattern.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

EDIT: I should mention that what I am refering to is when the Diamonds & Coastals occur naturally in the same area, hence "intergrade". This is not a hybrid. And yes, it is a beautiful snake regardless.

Last edited:
she is beautiful no matter what she is, might be coastal, but pattern seems simular to darwin too. dunno what its crossed with for sure. maybe contact the seller and ask them.

Remember there is a difference between an intergrade and a cross.
Intergrades are line bred from a naturally occurring cross over between the area where two species habitats overlap or 'intergrade'.
A cross is simply two species bred together.

Be sure if you do ever buy an intergrade that it is, and not simply a diamond x coastal that someone has bred and is calling it an intergrade as this false and most definitely bad scruples.

Thats most certainly not a pure diamond, but it looks like you do have a nice one on your hands there either way :)

Looking at those pics I would say intergrade. Some people call them Northern Diamonds. I base this on the fact that it has banding (like a Coastal) rather than clearly defined rosettes that is typical of the classic Diamond pattern.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

EDIT: I should mention that what I am refering to is when the Diamonds & Coastals occur naturally in the same area, hence "intergrade". This is not a hybrid. And yes, it is a beautiful snake regardless.
i actually read a very interesting thread that was made on here a while back that touched on the intergrade subject and the fact there is no difference in the dna make-up, ill see if i can dig it up but basically it was sort of saying that coastals and diamonds don't interbred in the wild and what you find is the coastals slowly turning into diamonds or the other way round diamonds to coastal

i dont think any of it was based on "official" studies but more of a theory , im still a bit undecided but it did make alot of sense ill see if i can dig it up
EDIT: found it , it is a very interesting read and makes alot of sense when you think about it

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/faq-intergrade-54862/

Last edited:
From owning around 8 i would say Intergrade,ive had a couple that look identical to yours..either way its still a stunner..

Thats really different from anything else ive heard so thanks it was worth reading.

I am happy thought either way, she is definately well behaved and gorgeous girl.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats really different from anything else ive heard so thanks it was worth reading.

I am happy thought either way, she is definately well behaved and gorgeous girl.

Intergrade is a naturally occuring colour and pattern variation. There has been no cross breeding at any stage. It is the genetic variant for the region it occurs in, just liken the various jungle forms. Intergrade is merely a name.
Yours looks like those found around, but not exclusovely, the area between Newcastle and Taree. The same patterning does/can occur when different regional variants are bred together.

beautiful intergrade i saw one like that in the bush a few weeks back it had similiar markings

Bautiful snake, interesting head/neck pattern, very simetrical. Whether its an intergrade or a diamond crossed with anything else is really anyones guess...I guess.:?

Intergrade is a naturally occuring colour and pattern variation. There has been no cross breeding at any stage. It is the genetic variant for the region it occurs in, just liken the various jungle forms. Intergrade is merely a name.
Yours looks like those found around, but not exclusovely, the area between Newcastle and Taree. The same patterning does/can occur when different regional variants are bred together.
Im split on my decissions...to say there is no overlap between boundries is not IMO right....but im under the impression that we may force carpets to breed rather than they have the choice in the wild...the intergrade is still up for debate and if we ever get a firm answer then...STAND UP AN COME FORTH...with 100% evidence
TA
Pete.......Ps this is no way aimed at u Pete just an opinion

Hi my name is Ryan I had the same question about mine I asked the breeder I got her from he couldn't help so I asked a guy studding animal science well the guys professor took blood and done some test and found out that she is a cross of diamond and coastal carpet they are normaly placid and will imprint on you and any one around it all the time but mostly you so worn people that it mite strike not out of anger but because its nervous

Hi my name is Ryan I had the same question about mine I asked the breeder I got her from he couldn't help so I asked a guy studding animal science well the guys professor took blood and done some test and found out that she is a cross of diamond and coastal carpet they are normaly placid and will imprint on you and any one around it all the time but mostly you so worn people that it mite strike not out of anger but because its nervous
this post is going to raise some eye brows , how did this scientist , professor take blood tests to determine it was a cross when there is no difference in the dna make up between the 2 , your "professor" sounds like he knows as much as your average joe blow on the subject

maybe read the link i put in my post on the first page

this post is going to raise some eye brows , how did this scientist , professor take blood tests to determine it was a cross when there is no difference in the dna make up between the 2 , your "professor" sounds like he knows as much as your average joe blow on the subject

maybe read the link i put in my post on the first page

What is the difference between a intergrade and a hybrid?

Hybrids. Hybrids are not natually occurring animals, but are continally created by irresponsable keepers. This is were one species like a Diamond is bred to a Carpet for example. The young are just mongrels and this practice is ILLEGAL in most states of Australia. These are cross species.

Intergrades. For some reason people think intergrades have occurred natually in the wild were somehow, many years ago, a Diamond bred with a Carpet where their borders mixed. If you are in this group you are also wrong.

Let the class begin. I will use the Carpet Python as it has the best known intergrades. The Eastern Carpet Python,(morelia spilota) according to DNA evidence is the same species wether it be the PNG, Top End, Cape York, Jungle, Coastal, Murray/Darling or Diamond. As the origional ancesters of this species moved into Australia and spread out around the eastern states, it has had to adapt to different climatic and geographical areas. The result of these changes have left us with the distinct subspecies that are listed above.

Nowhere in Australia is there a area where one subspecies just magically turned into the next. This was a suttle change, and in most areas it took many hundreds of kilometers for the changes to fully occur. These buffer zones between the 2 distinct sub species are known as the intergrade zones.

The best known of these is found in mid coast NSW. Starting just north of Coffs Harbour the Coastal Carpet starts it's transformation into the Diamond Python which finally fully appears at around Newcastle and extends to just over the Vic border. When looking at morelia spilota found in the area from Coffs to Newcastle you can see they share both charactoristics. The closer to Coffs, the more they resemble the Carpet that they started from. The closer to Newcastle, the more they resemble the Diamond that they are slowly turning into. The prettiest I have seen in this area occurr around Port Macquarie, and IMO can be far prettier than any Diamond i have ever seen, as well as being far more hardier in Captivity

Even though morelia spilota are deemed the same species by DNA, each subspecies can still be identified by slight variations in the DNA. This also includes the intergrades which have been found to differ from their origionals.

The best thing people can do to learn is to get off their computors, get into a car and travell around Australia and actually learn where you favourite species are found and to look a natual changes as they occur.

May I suggest you have a read yourself.....

May I suggest you have a read yourself.....
thanks for pointing that out , dont know how many times ive read that and still didn't pick up on it , i was always led to believe they where the same genetically , ill gladly take back my previous statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back