Breeding question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PieBald

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if it is ok to breed sister to brother or stuff like that or do I need an unrelated pair.
Cheers

I wouldn't inbreed as it can lead to problems, unrelated is better for breeding as there won't be problems.

Most people on here would say it's fine for a few generations but after that maybe getting new blood.

Missing limbs? Damn .. a snake would be useless without limbs

On a more serious note, no there are generally no problems breeding first gen brother and sister but usually it is only done to increase a desirable trait eg. pattern, colour etc

Yeah I know hahahaha, thought he was talking about lizards. Silly me.
but there still could be birth defects. But I have heard of people doing it for that reason.

It's fine python_rep, most of the older breeders have been doing it now for the past 20 odd years with the main side affect being better looking hatchlings. One of the main crosses that a lot of breeders use is the F1 backcross (pairing father x daughter or mother x son). The only time you really need to outcross is when you are working on a new mutation that might be a weak line, even then you would only have to outcross a couple of times with wild types to strengthen the line then you're away.
Hope this helps buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back