The Gardeners Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@fourexes the first one you need an i.d on is Kalanchoe tomentosa. The second is a begonia species.

I havent posted any pictures in a wile. Im kinda running low on plants. I still have some succulents and house plants I havent shared.(maby soon)

I have been holding back some of my specimens so here are a few.

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

I love winter blooms(althought this Mam. is kinds boreing lol) six more plants shooting out stalks picks to follow.

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

Heres a Tillandsia arrangement i did a few monthes ago. tThe colors look like crap because its winter over here. One of them allready has three pups on it.

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

ANNNNNNNNND last but not least. A couple i tore out of one of my vivariums a month ago.

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

Last edited:
dude what is that half cactus half palm looking thing? (technical green thumb jargon) in the first two pics?

awesome.

Anyone got any small indoor water plants?
I am looking for some ideas for a glass tank paludarium I am building.

I went to a local nursery yesterday. I snapped a couple crappy cellphone pictures. None of these plants are mine.(wish they were)

2013-01-15_16-24-34_239.jpg

2013-01-15_16-24-10_585.jpg

2013-01-15_16-24-20_511.jpg

I thought this was a great idea.

2013-01-15_16-16-38_976.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is my haul from the other day. I went to the nursery to get labels, I left with 5 plants lol. I was waiting to to take pictures with my camera but it broke. Sorry about the cellphone picks. I got some Bromeliads and a Agave because it cut me. I forgot to upload a picture of one of the broms. These are going to glow in the summer time.

2013-01-16_13-16-42_15.jpg

2013-01-16_13-16-53_328.jpg

2013-01-16_13-16-58_742.jpg

2013-01-16_13-17-18_944.jpg

2013-01-16_13-16-29_389.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a few pictures from today.

2013-01-18_16-16-56_638.jpg

2013-01-18_16-16-06_844.jpg

2013-01-18_16-16-21_679.jpg

Last edited:
mh 013 (Small).jpg
mh 017 (Small).jpg
mh 021 (Small).jpg
mh 023 (Small).jpg
wf 055 (Small).jpg
wf 056 (Small).jpg
wf 078 (Small).jpg

Some of my Hoya`s. I think the other is a plume.Last a rockwall that I`m making for a water feature with the plume in the back ground.

Some pics from my rainforest plot, currumbin valley, Qld. iPhone pics, not very clear, but I'll start with 3 species of the Davidsons plum
usydynur.jpg

Davidsonia pruriens (highland form)
6e7epezu.jpg

Davidsonia jerseyana
y7ume7eq.jpg

Davidsonia johnsonii
All of these Davidsonias produce a fleshy plum which makes exceptional jam and a pretty good wine!

Hollandea sp., from FNQLD. This form previously unknown and somewhat of a mystery to a botanist friend of mine. Most likely a broad leaved form of Hollandea riparia (Roaring Meg Hollandea). The pic shows the typical rainforest proteaceae type flower... similar to the Macadamia flower.
3y5abegy.jpg

Is it true peeing on citrus trees helps them grow and produce better fruit?
guess that's where they get their yellow colouring and acidity from!:lol:

Not sure but we used to do it in a house of 4 boy children. The oranges were always huge an tasted good.

Rick

I love winter blooms(althought this Mam. is kinds boreing lol) six more plants shooting out stalks picks to follow.

IMG_0779.jpg

Just wondering what this is?

Very jealous of you lot. My apartment has a weird little garden bit that's sort of built as a part of the wall in the corner of my balcony. I'd be lucky if it was 50cm x 50cm. Have tried growing stuff in there after I got rid of the stones and dead leaves in there and putting some soil in. None lasted long and I've ended up just putting "shady grass" in there.

Any suggestions on good plants I can pot up? I'd say my balcony gets 4 or 5 hours of decent sunlight a day. None of it particularly intense because we're half shaded by a huge tree.

With any luck my garden will look exactly like this:

ZAmcRDjl.jpg

I do, however, love the golden wattle. When the tree's flower it makes me happy, when do they flower again? haha

aXb74PPl.jpg

When I get around to having a house and then a garden I'll probably try to keep it all native, I'm oddly patriotic like that. I especially like the pig-face plant because I like squeezing the fleshy bits, makes me giggle.

I hate those Cycas, you have not known pain until you've fallen into one.

Just wondering what this is?

Very jealous of you lot. My apartment has a weird little garden bit that's sort of built as a part of the wall in the corner of my balcony. I'd be lucky if it was 50cm x 50cm. Have tried growing stuff in there after I got rid of the stones and dead leaves in there and putting some soil in. None lasted long and I've ended up just putting "shady grass" in there.

Any suggestions on good plants I can pot up? I'd say my balcony gets 4 or 5 hours of decent sunlight a day. None of it particularly intense because we're half shaded by a huge tree.
Thank you for the comment. Im out of town for another day so ill have to look at its tag when I get home. Four hours of sun is good for a vast amount of succulents. I need to know a little more about your climate. Mainly if you get any frost during the winter and if you live on the coast or inland.(huge difference in the suns strength) I have a bunch of pictures I need to upload, but here are a few for now.

Actually, the answer is yes. There urea in urine is exactly the same stuff as the white pellets in the plastic bag with the label “Urea”. Only difference is, one is dissolved and the other is in solid form. Like all fertilisers, not too much on one plant, so share it around – one pee per plant per week max. If they have had a good drenching from the rain or other water source, you can apply another dose whenever.

I must confess if I am outside when taken by the need to ablute, I do apply a bit of liquid fertiliser on the plants. But I only do the roses in the front yard after dark. Which reminds me... might I suggest the trusty plastic bucket if you have citrus in the front yard. It might save the lawn on the front verge from being worn thin by those who might develop a particular interest in your gardening techniques.

Blue

Thank you for the comment. Im out of town for another day so ill have to look at its tag when I get home. Four hours of sun is good for a vast amount of succulents. I need to know a little more about your climate. Mainly if you get any frost during the winter and if you live on the coast or inland.(huge difference in the suns strength)

I live in Brisbane, so zero frost ever haha. I'd say I count as living on the coast. I might go to a nursery today and check out some succulents. They look fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back