ID please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timwestwood

Reaction score
fished this little one out of the chook house, not sure which variety it is

Attachments

• DSC02855.jpg
    DSC02855.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 275
It is definitely a Carpet Python (Morelia spilota).
Morelia spilota
have several recognised subspecies (although some will argue with this), depending on where they are found. This specimen looks like a Coastal/Eastern Carpet Python (Morelia spilota mcdowelli) from SE QLD.
I prefer the common name Eastern Carpet Python as they're also found quite some distance from the coast, so the name is a bit misleading.

gold coast hinterland. It was very easy to handle, do they do well in captivity?

Yeah its a coastal and Bushman i live on the gold coast and ive heard of them being on south stradbroke island but not all of them live right along the coast.

Yeah heaps of people keep them in captivity. But you can't keep him as it's illegal to take them from the wild. Not suggesting you we're thinking this, just in case you were. You need a licence and to buy from a breeder or shop.

usually ok to handle at that size, larger adults become grumpy to absolute nut cases as their parasite load increases and they learn to hate the world and everything in it.

always a thought when ya see an id thread and the person has either caught it and its in a tub or they are holding it

yeah I have had quite a few of the much larger ones come through. It was just that this one handled a lot more friendly than his bigger counterparts and had no intention of doing anything other than keeping dry and warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back