Is it or Isn't it

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronhalling

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ok guys and gals with a good eye, i was looking at some of my pics today of our big girl and something about her patterning started to tell me that maybe she is not as pure as i thought, she has groups of rosette's very similar to that of a diamond, her head shape is all coastal but i just don't know now if she is as pure as i was told, i put this pic up for you all to look at and someone can tell me if it is just my imagination.............................................................Ron

Attachments

• 100_0037.jpg
    100_0037.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 20121205_084626.jpg
    20121205_084626.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Looks like she's got a little bit of coastal in her...I'd say they bred a 100% diamond with a Coastalxdiamond intergrade?...but I don't know much about diamonds or intergrades :p
she is still very pretty...:D

Hope someone will have a better idea for you :D

yeah looks like an intergrade with more coastal influence but that first pic its head looks like a coastal
beautiful snake though

heres a couple more Nilesh that shows the gammit of colours she goes through................................................. i hope my 2 spotties can be at least 1/2 as beautiful as this girl is....................Ron

Attachments

• 100_0041.jpg
    100_0041.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_0234.jpg
    100_0234.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_0235.jpg
    100_0235.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 20121205_085542.jpg
    20121205_085542.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20121205_085523.jpg
    20121205_085523.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 83
So what was she sold to you as? Her rosettes look similar to the marks of a coastal in shape and the head doesn't look as defined as a diamond, more coastal.
And whether I'm going loopy or not, in the first 2 pics you posted and the 1st pic of the second lot, the first bit of it's body looks fairly different to the rest. More brown and the scales are more like a coastals however the rest of the body resembles more of a diamond.

- - - Updated - - -

In your sig it says 1x coastal. If she was sold as pure coastal that breeder has a problem...

Last edited:
"Bananapeel" she was sold to me 5 long years ago as 100% coastal, i have seen the mummy and daddy and they look to me for all intents and purposes to be full coastal but they lacked the rosettes that my girls has in favour of more stripes, more like the general run of coastals to be seen here on the APS forum, lol yeah the colours vary depending on her mood, sometimes she almost looks yellow and green with white rosettes other times she will look brown and green with dirty white rosettes, BUT just as she is being feed she becomes electric and all her colourings almost seem to flash with excitement...............................................Ron

"Bananapeel" she was sold to me 5 long years ago as 100% coastal, i have seen the mummy and daddy and they look to me for all intents and purposes to be full coastal but they lacked the rosettes that my girls has in favour of more stripes, more like the general run of coastals to be seen here on the APS forum, lol yeah the colours vary depending on her mood, sometimes she almost looks yellow and green with white rosettes other times she will look brown and green with dirty white rosettes, BUT just as she is being feed she becomes electric and all her colourings almost seem to flash with excitement...............................................Ron

Most definitely not a 100% coastal, their is so much diamond in that, that I thought you were asking if your damond has any coastal in it?

My father has a diamond intergrade that's almost identical to yours.

I'd say a diamond got in on the action a generation or 3 ago and left some lovely rosettes and colouration for you to enjoy, the head shape and neck patterns do bear the signature of a coastal with the body forming more universal rosettes, typical of a diamond... All in all a lovely python you have there Ron...

I thought he was asking whether his diamond was pure or not which is why I asked what she was sold as because in the sig it said coastal which confused me because I thought it was a diamond. I see parts of a coastal but in the whole I'd say the majority would be diamond.
Did you buy her as a hatchie? Or Julie? Would be good to see pics of her as she was back then.

Bought as a hatchie BP only have a couple of pics from that young.............................Ron

Attachments

• 20080426-122453.jpg
    20080426-122453.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20080426-122608.jpg
    20080426-122608.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for the quick update Ron. Very interesting. The first pic shows smaller rosettes than a coastal but the diamond (from what I can see) is nowhere near as obvious as it is now. (Obviously why you started to second guess the species now)
the second pic looks like a darker typical coastal. Although I'm not keen on hybrids she's a beautiful looking snake and seems you got the best of both species and now she is like a magic snake with changing colours. Pretty damn cool if you ask me.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the quick update Ron. Very interesting. The first pic shows smaller rosettes than a coastal but the diamond (from what I can see) is nowhere near as obvious as it is now. (Obviously why you started to second guess the species now)
the second pic looks like a darker typical coastal. Although I'm not keen on hybrids she's a beautiful looking snake and seems you got the best of both species and now she is like a magic snake with changing colours. Pretty damn cool if you ask me.

yeh defenatley an intergrade i used to live in port macquarie for 3 years and i have seen so many wild intergrades identical to your one. its a very beautiful snake anyway :)

i also thought he was asking if it was pure diamond, well think ya got ya answer mate everyone thinks it looks more diamond than coastal and i would have to agree, head shape of a coastal and a couple longer rosetts but the rest to me says diamond

defantly looks like a natural intergrade to me,
beautiful snakes and very underated!!!

Thanks everyone, i have now got a good cross section of views from quite a few people and i have now come to the conclusion that i am sure i still don't know......bahahahahah...wheres the man with the white jacket.....................................................Ron

I was quite sure it's a diamond coastal intergrade. Obviously a lot of diamond, and clearly an intergrade of some species which appears to be a coastal especially as it was purchased as a costal and shows a few resembling features of one.
Oh and Bez, port macs are diamond coastal intergrades. Just a common name

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back