Quick question about sliding doors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippii

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just ordered some sliding glass doors the other day for my enclosure. It'll be my first proper enclosure (one that's not a click clack), so this may seem a bit of a silly question to some of you, but I don't want to regret not asking down the track.

I was so stoked that I'd finally bought the doors and ordered the heating equipment etc, that I didn't really think something through until now. The glass I've ordered is toughened, so there'll be no modifying it once it's here. I was looking at the cabinet planning my attack, when I started wondering if sliding doors without some sort of lock are safe.
Do you guys all have locks/some sort of latches on your sliding doors? Has anyone had larger pythons push sliding doors open by rubbing up against them etc? I don't know how easy it is to slide those doors from the inside (and without limbs!).

Ta

x

Glass cabinet locks are ideal for this, They are easily bought from bunnings and are very easy to install and use.

Glass sliding locks less than $10 buntings, eBay etc

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg I tried to post this a second ago, bunnings, eBay etc work well no drilling required, hope pic works...

Should have given the toughened glass a miss...not really needed and u can always modify normal glass.....5 mm normal is heaps strong for the application

Thanks, you guys are awesome!

It's a little late for that now Ozmid haha, though I don't imagine I'll be needing to modify it. I was just under the impression that I needed to be able to drill the glass to secure a lock.

I'll check out that website, and also see what bunning's got available for future reference.

x

locks are essential....little kids, friends and family are usually the main offenders of leaving sliding doors adjar

locks are essential....little kids, friends and family are usually the main offenders of leaving sliding doors adjar

The enclosure is in my room, and I only live with one other person who has no interest in opening the enclosure ever :p plus we're living in temporary accomodation (which is about the size of a shoebox), so we don't often have people here.. I'm not too worried about anyone else opening the enclosure.

x

your decision i guess but for 5 bucks it can be the best money ever spent, ya never know what other people will do if the get drunk and wanna do something cool......i walked in on my 3 1/2 year old in my snake room and he had stacked 3 cans of paint ontop of each other and was trying to put something into an unlocked enclosure that is 5 foot off the ground luckily it is an enclosure i am just getting set up, ya just gotta expect the unexpected. And no my 3 1/2 year old was not drunk..... just an example of what can happen

Oh, I definitely plan to get one, can never be too safe. I was just pointing out that that particular situation wasn't much of a concern, not that it was something I was going to risk though.

Thanks for your help fellas!

x

We've had a snake push open glass sliding doors and get out. Idiotically, the door had a lock but it had been left off accidentally. Sadly, Slippery Gypsy has not been recovered :(

Definitely invest in a lock. Or you can always go the "poor man's sliding door lock": 2 pieces of dowel cut to size and put in the tracks to stop the doors from being slid open. Won't stop things with hands, but it's pretty effective against our limbless friends :) Although, the last sliding glass door lock I bought was about $3 off ebay, so the price is comparable really.

I havn`t ever had any issues "yet" with any of my enclosures and i don`t use my locks. I also have young kids who know not to touch the glass. But bear in mind that none of my glass slides easily which is probably a good thing. The dowel method mentioned above is a good way to go if you don`t have locks. Good luck with your build Skippii. :)

I've found that most often it's the reptile itself that opens the enclosure when there is no lock on the sliding door.... That's how my lace monitor got his name "Houdini".... He saw me open and close the left door on a daily basis, and would test that side of the door all the time.... Little buggers are more intelligent than we often give them credit for.... Invest in that lock, it's worth far more to keep the reptile than the $5 or so that we pay for the lock itself.....

We've had a snake push open glass sliding doors and get out. Idiotically, the door had a lock but it had been left off accidentally. Sadly, Slippery Gypsy has not been recovered :(.

Sorry to hear about the snake and hope it turns up soon! But I couldn't help but laugh at that name. That's a classic!

Unless you have elapids which require hey locks I would actually suggest the metal type of "lock" that you can make out of a coat hanger. I've recently converted to these and, apart from being heaps simpler, they guarantee you can't leave the door partially open because they won't go in if it is. With the key locks you can accidentally leave the door open an inch and still have it lock.

you can also get these showcase locks of most locksmiths if you dont have a nearby bunnings

I've found some for $2each on eBay, Pm incoming :D

Snakes on the larger side r well known to rub there body in an s shape along glass and slide door open.... Locks r a must and I know lots of people don't use them! .... Mate in UK used to watch his Burmese do it all the time... Crafty buggers so be warned... 5 buck lock or a 800 buck snake???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back