darwin, fussy or just not interested

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karmag

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My 8 month old Albino Darwin, is not interested in his feed tonight. He may be going to shed bout 8wks since last.
Just trying to give him adult mouse, was told to feed inside his enclosure, once started doing that, he began to look at me every time i opened the door like i was a possible meal. Got a tub and tonight tried to feed him new size mouse, in new tub, and no luck after approx 10 -15 mins. Is this because of all the new stuff ?? He is my first snake, he normally eats weekly, up till now 2 x weaners, Any ideas guys, just unsure !!!
:|:|

I feed all my snakes in there enclosure, it's easier & none of mine associate the door opening with food. Just leave the food item in with the snake for a couple of hours (only if it's frozen thawed or fresh killed, not that you should feed live) as they will sometimes eat it if left undisturbed. Snakes will refuse food from time to time, it's generallynothing to worry. Common causes are coming up to a shed, cold enclosure temps or cold outside temps. A lot of snakes will go off food over winter even when continual heat is provided. Try feeding again in another week or two, snakes can go a long time without food. I had a 2 yr old Darwin go 7 months only accepting small food items 3 times, without any significant weight lose.

Last edited:
The whole feeding in and out of enclosure is stupid IMO. All mine are defensive when trapped in a corner when I open the door. They are not looking at me as food, but as a severe threat to them. If u drag them out and put into a tub, wouldn't they associate of being out of their normal housing with being fed??? Once feeding I keep the same practices as normal to reduce stress and to try not to turn my herps off their food

I've always fed my Woma outside his enclosure. I prefer that way.

Just to avoid him "looking at me as a meal" or as others say its "for them not to become cage defensive" etc.

Whatever peops reason/excuse, its my chosen method.
I believe there's less chances of mistaken identity. (plus, a damp prey on a sandy substrate may cause problems)
Besides, in the wild, snakes never eat the same and on same spot! (some travel Kms in search of food)

It's still cold so some snakes may be refusing to eat at moment, nothing to be alarmed off!

Don't try feeding again just yet, wait few days and try again. Make sure your cage heating is still reasonable high.

My Woma kept eating all winter except for 1 skipped meal... I may have had him outside for too long as my son was handling him prior (feeding was suppose to be next day, so I allowed) Then my son asked me to feed 'his Woma', so I also fed that same evening.

Maybe he was no longer warm enough, maybe food was not very hot as I was in a rush to finish another job... whatever it was, it didn't bother me much as they can go months without food.

I wont change feeding days again so I can do it as planned and not rush to fit in between jobs...

Some snakes start to refuse feeding all winter at an earlier age and won't eat again till its spring.

Good luck for next feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
the darwins i held in northern n.t could be fussy too, if they dont want to eat leave it another week, when they are hungry they will eat

I dont know how to post on this site

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so i wanted to know if you keep a rat in the fridge overnight that is already defrosted. is it safe to use next day..... My charlie ( darwin Python) would not take it today..... he is normally a weekly feeder, approx 14 months old and on weaner rats. I feed him out of his enclosure as i tried inside once or twice but he would see me as the meal and not the rat..... he is very placid and i get him out regularly, he knows his feed box and i dont have a problem with feeding in the box..... he has been a bit stroppy of late and does not want to come out of his enclosure, are these things related atall please. His temp are consistent and good.

I personally wouldn't feed a rat that has been defrosted and in the fridge all night, for the sake of $3-4 I would try again in a week, I just went through my MD not feeding on his regular night last week but he was beginning to shed as the next day I noticed the milky eyes, then during the week he shed, so 2 days later I tried him on food and he ate as usual, not only that he has gone from weaner mice to fuzzy rats

My greens went off feed for a couple of days I put it down to the change of whether due to being hot then with the air conditioner etc
i don't understand the tub feeding as IMO:
If door opening means food? (Enclosure feeding)
Then doesn't handling mean food too? (tub feeding)
How do they know the difference.

I feed my snakes at night. Once the light go out I don't dare to handle them because they know that's when they get fed. If I walk past at night, their heads follow me waiting for a rat to magically appear :lol: My bredli even comes straight up to the door on feeding night as if saying "hurry up! Hurry up! I can see the rat!!! Give it to me!!!" ahaha
That's just how I do it, it makes it much 'safer' for me to reach in and pick them up to handle during the day ;)

My greens went off feed for a couple of days I put it down to the change of whether due to being hot then with the air conditioner etc
i don't understand the tub feeding as IMO:
If door opening means food? (Enclosure feeding)
Then doesn't handling mean food too? (tub feeding)
How do they know the difference.

They don't know the difference.What they do know is food is on the way a long time before they are offered it as they can smell it being defrosted even if it is being done a long way away from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back