Treating a large branch.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob8290

Just woundering how I would go about treating a large branch for an enclosure. Its forked and stands about 1 m tall so that makes it difficult to soak in a tub due to shape and size. What would I use and what method? Cheers.

Treat it with a bit of a brush off,a quick inspection and you are good to go.

Pressure clean it ? Pour kettle water on the bits with creatures in it ?

One point/thing l do is, 3 - 4 different white ant people have told me is that WHITE ANTS have to go to ground everynight for moisture with out it they are DOA so l throw my branches/logs on the clothes line for 3 - 4 days brush them off and put them in..... :)

I think I'll pour boiling water over it. Brush it down and hang it on a line. Cheers for the advice everyone!

Brush it off and throw it in, reptiles do come across wood from time to time in the wild.... You also can't relocate a white ant colony, if any happen to go with the branch they will die.

I think most people understand that some snakes live on sand in the wild and come across fallen timber, but the fact is that the majority of these snakes are captive bred and therefore do not have the immune system of a wild snake as they have not developed it as there is no need to.
I don't mean to say a speck of dirt will kill a snake but best to be safe. However i agree I think it should be fine as they are quite hardy animals and as long as you have a quick check for parasites etc and if you want to be safe which is always better, follow any of the above recommendations, as they are all good.

I think most people understand that some snakes live on sand in the wild and come across fallen timber, but the fact is that the majority of these snakes are captive bred and therefore do not have the immune system of a wild snake as they have not developed it as there is no need to.

Even captive bred snakes are immune to timber.People tend to make things way more complicated than is necessary.

I wasn't trying to make things complicated or make a big fuss but all I want is my snake to be bitten by a spider or any insect that could cause issues. I also understand that they come across timber and such in the wild but they are not contained without escape with these insects to live.

I have several awesome looking small hollow logs which my goannas absolutely love when I first collected them one of them was riddled with white ants even though they don't colonize an area that simply as I have my own house I soaked them for a week then stuck them in the oven for an hour or so at 250 degrees celcius. These were hollow mind you large branches should be fine just give them an inspection before use

Okay so I should be right just to give it a good clean and in it goes.cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back