ID of snake please! (Warning; picture of dead snake inside)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

banshii

Reaction score
Hi there. I woke up this morning to my husband saying hed found a dead little black/brown type of snake in the lounge room. We did not kill it but unfortunately we kinda think it may have died from our cat playing with it by accident..(Indoor cat not allowed outside for this reason as we want to protect wildlife) so anyway just wondering what do you think it is? It's not the best feeling waking up to hearing "hey theres a snake in the loungeroom" ... Its browny/black with an orangey striped stomach and we live in newport in sydney.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 372
It's a Golden-crowned Snake. Mildy venomous and not considered dangerous in normal circumstances.

It is a shy pretty little snake that shelters under rocks and logs during the day and hunts for small lizards at night. If frightened they can lift the front of their bodies up and look a little threatening but it's basically all bluff.

They used to be fairly common up on the northern beaches of sydney

Yes its a Golden Crowned. Poor thing.
You can see the crown on the head in the 2nd pic.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

I 100% concur. The venral patterning is consistent with this species and fairly distinctive and the corona shaped pale-coloured crown on the head is diagnostic. Cacophis squamulosus.

Whilst the lighting
on the snake could be improve by having a mid grey or yellow background rather than white, you did well to send in a clear shot of the ventrals. IT really helps,along with the exact location. Well done.

Blue

thank you everyone.. glad to hear that it isn't dangerous. I guess if I ever see an alive one inside I won't be scared to catch it and let it out
rip little fella

thank you everyone.. glad to hear that it isn't dangerous. I guess if I ever see an alive one inside I won't be scared to catch it and let it out
rip little fella

Best still to treat it with caution and unless you are 110% positive of being able to confirm whether or not it's the same species next time around call a relocator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back