"Wild fish tanks" - for the aquarium and dive enthusiasts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saratoga

Reaction score
I know quite a few herps are also interested in fish and aquariums so thought it worthwhile posting this here

I'm making a video series called "Wild Fish Tanks", basically just a camera fixed in place to watch the happenings in the underwater world.

Usually I just select the best 3 or 4 seconds and then get rid of the rest, but it seems a shame to throw the rest away when I enjoy watching it, so hopefully some of you will enjoy it too.

Burrewarra Rockpool: Wild Fish Tank - YouTube

Croajingolong Coast: Wild Fish Tank - YouTube

Some great footage! Very calming to watch :)
What camera do you use underwater?

Thanks for sharing :)

Will be great help to anyone trying to make a biotope of the area you're filming, cheers buddy, watching the first one now :)

Yes indeed, very nice.

I used to sit on a submerged rock in Barramundi Ck (Kakadu) with my goggle and snorkel and holding a bread roll above my head drop crumbs in. First come the rainbows and gudgeons and pretty soon you have a whole food chain including barra, saratoga, turtles and freshies. That one creek by the way has more freshwater species of fish rhan the entire of southern Oz.

I'm going to borrow your concept, I've an underwater camera with vid function that I hardly use these days. Cheers

#1 is Magical love it.

So you secure it with weights or wedge it ?

Thanks all for your comments, glad you enjoyed it

What camera do you use underwater?

I used the gopro hero HD3 black in the rockpool and in the surge area at Croajingolong I used the Hero HD1. Unfortunately the HD3 is proving extremely unreliable for me, so until I can sort it out or return it, I'm back to shooting on the first model.

Yes indeed, very nice.

I used to sit on a submerged rock in Barramundi Ck (Kakadu) with my goggle and snorkel and holding a bread roll above my head drop crumbs in. First come the rainbows and gudgeons and pretty soon you have a whole food chain including barra, saratoga, turtles and freshies. That one creek by the way has more freshwater species of fish rhan the entire of southern Oz.

I'm going to borrow your concept, I've an underwater camera with vid function that I hardly use these days. Cheers

Look forward to seeing some. i've been dreaming of doing Barramundi Creek and some of those other areas. Used to do heaps of snorkelling there in the pandanus lined deeper pools and the diversity was amazing. Not doubt it still is but the last few times I was there they had a croc trap set which I think is now a permanent feature through the dry. Would love to get back up that way again, but hopefully I can enjoy a bit of it through your video.

#1 is Magical love it.

So you secure it with weights or wedge it ?

I secure it to a metal plate which I rest on the bottom. It's pretty stable but still often gets pushed around. I had my elbows and legs pushed sideways trying to wedge myself in position amongst the rocks while I tried to get the camera framed up the right way. The power of even a gentle swell is pretty amazing, especially in tight places.

This isn't a video but what do you reckon I said when I came across this?

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 141
Oh Bother
I cut the tail off the archer fish
Must go back and shoot again

Or words to that effect???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back