Green Tree Frogs with tap water?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Maniac

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Is it ok to use tap water with green tree frogs? I do not for my frogs but have heard you can use it.

Cheers,
James

I use tap water with an aquarium fish water ager for my gillens tree frogs for about 2 years now without any problems
I would not use straight tap water though as it is full of chlorine and other stuff

I used to use rainwater for my fish and frogs (haven't had GTF but have had marsh frogs and eastern froglets), but we moved and I don't have access to the rainwater any more. I filled up a couple of 60l bins with tapwater, let it sit for a few days to allow the chlorine to dissipate, and had no issues.

I use a brita water filter and that works fine. Never noticed any problems with my frogs.

It's recommended to use a dechlorinator. Because they soak the water through there skin, and the chlorine can kill them.

I have around 10 red eyed green tree frogs at the moment and i havent had a problem with tap water just use a dechlorinator or rain water depening on where you live the water can be much harsher on them

I've been keeping green tree frogs for nearly 3 years now and I've only ever used the tap water, they are very healthy and there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of them :)
It is very common up north to find wild green tree frogs in toilets, sinks, showers - that just use tap water having no ill effect on the frog.
though if you are that worried you can test the water that comes out of your tap to see what chemicals are in it :)

i use day old snake water to fill my frogs bowl (obviously only if its clean), the chlorine is meant to evaporate within 24 hours.

If you dont want to use tap water with the bad stuff in it. Go to your local petrol station and use there water filter for like 5 bucks

If you don't want to use tap water... use... water filter...

Or simply fill up a bottle of water and let out in the sun (opened) for 24hrs to dechlorinate - FREE and no need to replace filters from time to time.
;)
For more info, read Frogs as Pets by Michael J Tyler and Raising Native Frogs by Alastair Bax.

P.S (RE Frogs often found in toilets etc.), the water in toilet cisterns have sat there for many hours if not days, therefore have a much lower chlorine levels as it evaporates with time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back